Archive for February, 2014

Flight Training To Be A Flight Instructor

February 26, 2014 Leave a comment

Flight Training To Be A Flight InstructorFlight training instructors have been in demand years, especially now. There are different reasons why people choose this career. Being a flight instructor provides you with experience needed to become a commercial or ATP pilot. Some are happy to stay as flight instructors and teach new pilot students how to fly the plane. Whatever the reason, it is a gratifying experience to be a flight instructor.

The road to become a flight instructor starts with gaining a series of pilot certificates. In order to obtain the flight instructor certification, there will be others that need to be completed in sequence to get to that level. While there is not a formal degree requirement for any of the certifications, the appropriate courses will need to be completed.

The first certificate is that of a Private Pilot. A candidate must pass the FAA written and practical test. They must also be at least 17 years old, be able to communicate in English and hold a current third class medical certificate. Typical requirements for the flight school portion will be 40 hours of flight time with the time divided between solo and dual flights. Most programs can be finished in about 60 hours maximum.

A commercial pilot certificate is the next step to become a flight instructor. One condition for this certificate is that you must hold a Private Pilot Certificate, and attaining a passing score of the FAA knowledge and practical test pertaining to commercial flight is also required. The amount of flight time needed is about 190 to 250 hours of total pilot in command time, but the amount of time needed to go through the program, excluding flight time, is around 90 hours.

The final certification is the Certified Flight Instructor or CFI certificate. A candidate needs to have a Commercial Pilot Certificate prior to taking the exam, and you can expect to take a knowledge and practical test, pass the Fundamentals of Instructing. The type of certification you get will depend on the type of airplanes you expect to teach. A general CFI, CFI Instrument Rating Course and CFI Multi-Engine Course are all available. Most students can complete their training in as little as 20 hours.

Renewing Your Flight Instructor Certificate

Flight instructor certificates expire every 24 months. There are many ways and options to renew Flight Instructor Certificate. The FAA outlines several opportunities to renew your certificate with and without additional testing.

  • Decide to take a practical test for a rating listed on your certificate or for an additional flight instructor rating. This test must be successfully passed.
  • Opt to complete and submit an application to the FAA showing that you have had at least 5 students endorsed for a practical test within the last 2 years and that at least 80% of those students have been successful on the test with their first attempt.
  • Provide proof that you have taken on the role as a company check pilot, company check airman, chief flight instructor or flight instructor or been in a position where you regularly evaluated pilots. This all must have taken place within the previous 2 years.
  • Take a flight instructor refresher course no more than 3 months before applying for renewal. Check with the FAA website for schools and locations offering such courses.
  • Provide proof that you have taken and passed an instructor pilot check from the U.S. Armed Forces.

Learning how to renew a certified flight instructor license before the expiration date is the best plan if you desire to continue your career for more than 2 years.

FAA Flight Instructor Training Package

If you are looking to launch your Professional Pilot Career as a Certified Flight Instructor, then Aviator has the Instructor Course that’s right for you. You will receive up to 120 hours of ground instruction under the supervision of a Gold Seal Flight Instructor. In addition, you will receive the highest quality flight instruction necessary to become a superior flight instructor.

Requirements: FAA Single and Multi-engine Commercial Ratings with a minimum of 15 hours Multi-Engine PIC time.
Our FAA-approved training curriculum for the Certified Flight Instructor ratings includes:

  • Multi-Engine Flight Instructor
  • Single Engine Flight Instructor
  • Instrument Flight Instructor
  • Up to 120 Hours of Ground Training
  • 21 Hours of Flight Training
  • Spin Training
  • Course Duration: two months
  • Job opportunities for those who qualify

$ 7,000.00

Contact Aviator
To speak with an instructor contact the college at 772-672-8222.


College Application Process For International Students

February 23, 2014 Leave a comment

College Application Process For International StudentsForeign students may study full time at thousands of learning institutions approved by USCIS, including American language schools, high schools, universities and other institutions of higher education.

If your main purpose of travel to the U.S. is tourism but you also want to take studies of less than 18 hours per week, you may be able to do so on a visitor visa. If, however, your studies will be more than 18 hours per week, you must secure an F-1 or M-1 student visa. F-1 student visas are granted to academic and language students for the full duration of their studies. M-1 student visas are issued to vocational students for up to 1 year of studies.

Application Process

First you must apply and get accepted to an USCIS-approved learning institution. Your school will provide you with Form I-20, F-1 or M-1 as applicable. Both you and your school must sign this form. Your school will enter this information into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), an internet-based system that maintains nonimmigrant student information.

You will also provide Form DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application as well as DS-158 Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant.

After you application has been accepted, you will attend an interview. A digital fingerprint scan will be taken in addition to a digital photo.

You will need a passport with an expiry date at least 6 months past the end date of your period of study. A passport-type photograph must also be supplied as well as a receipt confirming all application fees have been paid.
Tip: Plan ahead! The summer months before the start of fall semesters are the busiest months for Embassies and Consulates, and you might have trouble getting an appointment during those months. Your visa can be issued 120 days or less in advance of your study registration date. If you apply more than 120 days in advance, your application will be held until the 120-day mark.


Be prepared to provide transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions. You will also need to show your standardized tests scores. Both the learning institution as well as USCIS will need financial evidence showing that you and/or your sponsor can cover your tuition and living expenses while you’re in the U.S. Proof may include tax documents, bank statements, and if applicable, business registrations and licenses.


You cannot arrive in the U.S. more than 30 days before your study start date. If you need to come sooner than this, you must obtain a visitor visa. Note, that if you choose this route, you will need to file for an adjustment from visitor status to student status. This will require an additional fee, and you can’t begin your studies until the adjustment has been approved.

Entering the U.S.

When you arrive at the port-of-entry, you will provide Form I-20 to the Border Protection official. The official will review your documents and authorize your entry into the U.S. You will be enrolled in the US-VISIT program and an I-94 Arrival-Departure Record will be placed in your passport. DO NOT lose this form, as it is the only record of your arrival in the country.

Duration of a Student Visa

If you’ve been admitted for the full duration of your studies as an F-1 visa holder, you may remain in the U.S. until your studies are completed, even if this takes you beyond your F-1 visa expiry date. Even if your visa expires, you may remain in the States as long as you continue your full-time studies. Once your studies are complete, you are allowed some additional time before you must exit the country. F-1 students may stay for an additional 60 days.
M-1 students are admitted to the U.S. for a 1-year course of study. They have 30 days to depart the U.S. after completion of their studies, but their total time in the U.S. cannot exceed 1 year.  Source

Aviator College International Student Services Department

The International Student Services Department provides guidance to international students. Staff members assist students in interpreting U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations. Services include assisting visa holders with travel signatures, new I-20’s, social security and visa extensions, international student orientation, as well as other immigration matters.

The Aviator College of Aeronautical Science accepts aspiring International Students who wish to complete an Associate of Science Degree in Aeronautical Science. The Aviator Flight Training Academy accepts International Students who wish to complete a certificate program or earn specific licenses. The Degree Program will take up to a 24 months for completion. Students complete five consecutive semesters. The last two semesters contain an internship component. Interns are required to instruct a minimum of 153 hours each of the two semesters along with completing the General Education Requirements. Transfer Credit may be given for the General Education requirements and previous flight training completed. Send transcripts and copies of any current flight licenses to the Registrars Office
for determination.

For complete list of admission requirements, VISA information and more, visit International Students page or contact Aviator staff.

Aviator Flight Commercial FAA Pilot Programs for International Students

February 23, 2014 Leave a comment

Aviator Flight Commercial FAA Pilot Programs for International Students

ICAO Licence or International Licence

ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.

Use of Flight Crew Licences on Foreign-Registered Aircraft

Any pilot who wishes to fly on an aircraft registered in a State other than the one that has issued the licence, needs to obtain an authorization from the State of Registry. This authorization is generally given by the State of Registry through a validation or a conversion of the foreign licence. In general, the validation process is used for short-term authorization while the conversion process is used for longer-term authorization.

Converting an ICAO Private Pilots License to a EASA Private Pilot

If you have fewer than 100 hours of flight time and wish to convert your ICAO Private Pilots License to EASA , you must complete the following:

  • Obtain a EASA class two medical exam (this can be completed in the USA)
  • Pass all seven EASA PPL theoretical examinations
  • Pass the radio telephony operators practical test
  • Complete flight training as required with a flying instructor to prepare for the flight test
  • Pass the PPL skills test with a EASA flight examiner

If you have more than 100 hours of flying time and wish to convert your ICAO Private Pilots License to EASA, you are given a few exemptions, but still required to complete the following:

  • Obtain a EASA class two medical exam (this can be completed in the USA)
  • Pass 3 of the EASA PPL theoretical examinations (Human Performance & Limitations, Air Law and Radio Telephony)
  • Pass the radio telephony operators practical test
  • Complete flight training as required with a flying instructor to prepare for the flight test
  • Pass the PPL skills test with a EASA flight examiner
Countries Requiring EASA License or Accepting for Straight Conversion
  • Belgium
  • Greece Portugal
  • Liechtenstein
  • Georgia
  • Bulgaria
  • Hungary
  • Romania
  • Albania
  • Moldova
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina
  • Monaco
  • Cyprus
  • Italy
  • Slovenia
  • Poland

For complete list of countries, please visit Aviator link.

Flight Training In USA

Flight training in the United States offers European students several advantages. Flight training costs are generally more affordable in the U.S., and the currency exchange rates between the Euro and the British Pound against the U.S. dollar gives students a clear financial advantage. In addition, the training completion times are generally shorter in the U.S. compared to training in the United Kingdom, Scandinavia & the European Union. The weather in Florida provides for about 350 flying days a year.

Commercial Airline Pilot Program From Aviator
M-1 Visa

The Commercial Airline Pilot Program is for the international student that needs to possess an FAA multi-engine commercial certificate. The program could take as little as 4 months to complete. Housing is included for the duration of 4 months. In the program you will earn the private pilot, instrument, single engine commercial and multi-engine commercial. The program is an approved FAA part 141 program which most countries are requiring. Upon your graduation in this program you will receive a Part 141 Commercial Graduation Certificate.
Additional single or multi engine hours can be accumulated at reduced prices. for further information contact our admissions department by email or phone +1-772-466-4822.

Subtract -$6,100.00 if you hold a Private Pilot Certificate

Commercial Pilot Program with Flight Instructor Ratings
F-1 Visa

The Commercial Pilot Program with the addition of 3 flight instructor certificates is a Part 141 and Part 61 Program. The program is designed for the international student coming from countries requiring additional hours for employment in their country. Typically these countries require up to 1500 and to hold an FAA ATP(Airline Transport Pilot) certificate. The program can completed in as little as 6 months. Housing is included for the duration of the 6 months. After you have earned all required certificates, you then can be placed in the Part 141 standardization and CPT internship ( 510 hours ).Upon completion of the CPT internship you will then be able to apply for an instructor position for up to 12 months.

To be able to apply for OPT ( Flight instructor Position) you must have completed the program on time with no more than 1 checkride failure. Written exam grades must be at least 85% or higher and you must pass a flight instructor review board.

Subtract -$6,100.00 if you hold a Private Pilot Certificate

Commercial Airline Pilot Program with FAA and EASA Flight Instructor Ratings
F-1 Visa

The Commercial Program with FAA & EASA Flight Instructor Certificates ( European Pilots). this program meets all the requirements and licenses for FAA and EASA

The program will take approximately 12 to 15 months, housing is included for 12 months. The ATPL ground school is taught on campus which consists of 650 classroom hours.The 14 written exams are held in Orlando, FL.

After you have earned all required certificates, you then can be placed in the Part 141 standardization and CPT internship ( 510 hours ).Upon completion of the CPT internship you will then be able to apply for an instructor position (OPT) for up to 12 months so that you can build experience.

To be able to apply for OPT ( Flight instructor Position) you must have completed the program on time with no more than 1 checkride failure. Written exam grades must be at least 85% or higher and you must pass a flight instructor review board.

Students interested in enrolling need to speak with an admissions officer prior to enrolling. You can contact or admissions office at 1-772-466-4822.

Subtract -$6,100.00 if you hold a Private Pilot Certificate

Contact Aviator to get full details.

Managing The Cost Of Flight Training School

February 19, 2014 Leave a comment

Managing The Cost Of Flight Training SchoolFlight training can get really expensive and is a major deterrent for students who whish to become pilots. Flight training is an investment, and if managed properly, can help you achieve your dreams.

There are few things to consider before you start looking into financing options.

Decide on The Type Of Flying and Pilot License Your wish To Do

FAA’s rules for getting a pilot’s license (certificate) differ depending on the type of aircraft you fly. You can choose among airplanes, gyroplanes, helicopters, gliders, balloons, or airships. If you are interested in flying ultralight vehicles, you don’t need a pilot’s license. You should also think about what type of flying you want to do. There are several different types of pilot’s licenses, from student pilot all the way up to airline transport pilot.

Once of the ways to reduce your flight training cost to get a Sport License. The introduction of the Sport Pilot license gives you an opportunity to become a pilot in a total of 20 hours —half that required for the private pilot license. While the Sport Pilot license has limitations, the certificate still allows you to take a friend up for a flight to any airport in the United States, as long as you have a logbook endorsement to operate in Class B, C and D airspace. And when and if you get the desire and funds to continue your training to get your private pilot certificate, you are already well on your way.

Flying Weather and Flight Training Schedule

Location is very important when you are looking for a flight training school. Florida is a great place to earn your wings. The moderate and mild climate makes flight training a pleasure. The good weather allows you to log more flying hours faster, get your degree quicker and be on the way sooner to your new aviation career.

During flight training, it is best to fly as often as you can. Piloting skills are perishable, especially in the beginning, and long breaks from flying are likely to degrade your knowledge of the concepts and the skills you’ve developed at significant cost. As a result, you end up spending more time and money re-learning concepts, procedures and aircraft handling skills. Make sure that you minimize interruptions to your training schedule and that you have more than enough money available to complete all the required training before you start.

Importance of FAA Approved Flight School

Enrollment in an FAA-approved flight school usually ensures a high quality of training. Approved schools must meet prescribed standards with respect to equipment, facilities, personnel, and curricula. However, individual flight instructors and training companies that are not certificated by the FAA as “pilot schools” may also offer high quality training, but find it impractical to qualify for FAA certification.

Another difference between training provided by FAA-approved pilot schools and other providers is that fewer flight hours are required to be eligible for a pilot certificate when the training is received through an approved school. The flight hour requirement for a private pilot certificate is normally 40 hours, but may be reduced to 35 hours when training with an approved school. However, since most people require 60 to 75 hours of training, this difference may be insignificant.

Why Flight Training Degree

Many airlines, especially in the United States, prefer applicants with a college degree. So why not let your flight training build up college credit and earn a degree?

From an employer’s point of view, a degree from a certified aviation science program shows a high level of commitment to the field. Most commercial airlines prefer applicants with college degrees. If you are already a licensed pilot, flight time and certificates can be counted towards your degree, saving both time and money. Entering the aviation job market with a degree in aviation will get you the advantage you need to get a job as a pilot.

Financing Options For Your Flight Training

FAFSA – or Free Application for Federal Student Aid – is the first step in the financial aid process for your flight school. Use it to apply for federal student financial aid, such as the Pell Grant, student loans, and college work-study. Most states and schools use FAFSA information to award their financial aid. Visit their website for more information.

The following is a list of federal grant and loan programs:

Federal Stafford Loans (FFEL): Amounts may vary each year and are dependent on need
and the grade year of the student.

Federal Stafford Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS):
The FFEL PLUS loan can be borrowed by the parents of the dependent undergraduate student to help pay for
their child’s education. The PLUS loan is not based on financial need. The amount
borrowed each year is limited to the cost of attendance less other forms of assistance.

Federal Direct Loans: Amounts may vary each year and are dependent on need and the
grade year of the student.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS):
The Direct PLUS loan can be borrowed by the parents of the dependent undergraduate student to help pay for
their child’s education. The PLUS loan is not based on financial need. The amount borrowed each year is limited to the cost of attendance less other forms of assistance.

Federal Perkins Loan
This low-interest loan is dependent on availability of funds each year and must be repaid to the flight school you are attending. The loan accrues no interest while the student attends school or during the nine-month grace period.

Pell Grants
This need-based award varies. The award amount is directly related to the student’s expected family contribution as determined by the FAFSA form and the student’s enrollment status (full time, half time, etc.)

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (FSEOG):
Grants through this federal program are available to a limited number of students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students with the greatest need.

Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
This federal grant is for full-time, undergraduate, Pell Grant-eligible U.S. citizens who have completed a rigorous High
School curricula and are in their first two years of study. ACG grants are for first and
second-year students with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.

Aviation Career Training Loans
Aviation career training loans are a great way to pay for your aviation training. These types of loans are specifically used for technical training, trade school and other education programs. If you have looked everywhere and still haven’t found a way to pay for your aviation training then you should probably try and apply for a career training loan

Flight Training Scholarships
There are many organizations that offer aviation related scholarships. The great thing about scholarships it that you never have to pay them back. Its free money for your flight training needs. To review flight training scholarship list, view flight school list website.

Veterans Benefits

VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications. You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to VA.

Students enrolled with Aviator College may be eligible for Federal Financial Aid, Veterans Benefits, and Private Career Education Loans.

Contact Aviator College today to find out about your financing options.

What To Know About Flight Training Degree For International Students

February 17, 2014 Leave a comment

What To Know About Flight Training Degree For International StudentsChoosing a flight training school or college is a process that requires a thorough research. After looking at a variety of brochures and websites, they all start to look the same. It becomes difficult to separate good a flight school from those who are simply good at selling themselves.

Besides the obvious items such as location, type of flight training aircraft, and availability of student loans, there are many other items to consider when selecting your flight school. Often these items are not in the brochures aviation flight training colleges send out to you.

Regardless of which aviation flight training college you choose, you still will leave with the required FAA certificates for your career in aviation. That’s assuming that the flight school uses a structured syllabus, you apply yourself and never forget your part of that equation. However, choosing a good flight school can make your flight training experience enjoyable, as opposed to a tedious task.

Review List To Select Aviation School for your Flight Training
  • Size of your classes
  • A list of charges not included in the package price – and there always are items like this. That’s normal, because not everyone learns at the same rate.
  • Average age and experience of the educational team.
  • The general weather conditions in the area. This means you should watch for words like “365 days of sunshine.” Is the weather comfortable to learn in and how much time each day is really flyable?
  • Are you paying for flying time only, and if not what are the other costs that will impact the total expense and speed at which you complete your training?
  • Many career schools claim to have connections with an airline or even several airlines. This is something that often is not valuable to you.
  • The airline industry is in a state of constant change – it is nearly impossible to tell who will be hiring when you are done with your education and finished building your flight experience.
  • Be careful of the guaranteed interview, and never pick a school for the so-called guaranteed job. This may not be a wise investment of your money; it may just be a marketing effort by the school. Be sure to ask how many students got interviews, jobs and how long it took them to get hired.

There are over 300 two- and four-year colleges with aviation programs and aviation schools in the United States and world-wide that offer various aviation programs (including non-engineering programs) to students interested in pursuing a career in aviation. Many of the aviation programs will allow you to either earn an aviation diploma, certificate or rating, aviation degree, an Associates and/or Bachelors degree (which is dependent on the type of school and their aviation programs).

The process of preparing and applying to an aviation college can be an intimidating and confusing process. This is why it is very important to learn as much as you can about the basics of preparing and applying for college. The more you know about your options and the application process; you can make an informed decision about your educational and aviation career goals.

Why an Aviation School or Aviation College?

Aviation schools and aviation colleges provide the best learning and training environments for students to succeed and prepare for a career in aviation. You may already be aware of the many benefits of going to college such as better paying jobs, access to a wider range of career choices, and exposure to a wide range of people and cultures. Going to an aviation school or aviation college also has many benefits.

An aviation school or aviation college will allow you to:

  1. Gain greater knowledge and expand your skills in a specific aviation career field.
  2. Earn an aviation degree, an associate’s degree, and/or bachelor’s degree in an aviation program.
  3. Access a wide range of aviation resources and tools to help you with your aviation career.
  4. Participate in various aviation internship programs.
  5. Increase your chances of networking with aviation employers to gain employment. Source
F1 Visa Requirements For International Students

If you are planning to come to the U.S. for the Aeronautical Science Degree Program (including flight training), you must enter on a Student Visa.

To be eligible for an F1 visa, foreign students must possess all of the following:

  • An offer of study from an approved educational institution in America
  • Intent to travel to America for the purpose of enrollment in a full course of study (as certified by the academic institution in postgraduate or postdoctoral level study or at least 12 semester hours on the university level or equivalent)
  • A valid passport
  • Ability to prove they have sufficient funds to pay for tuition and costs for the duration of the program, although in certain circumstances the student may be given permission to work
  • Fluency in English or enrolled in an immersion course or other course that will lead to proficiency
  • Intent to return to their country of abode after expiration of the visa

Although the F1 Student Visa for the USA does not have an insurance requirement as part of the visa regulations, most F1 students who are studying in the USA will have to meet certain levels of coverage as set out by their school. To learn what requirements schools impose on international students please contact flight training school of your choosing for more information.

Once you know what your school requires in terms of insurance coverage, you can purchase your insurance plan right online through our website. The most popular and applicable plan for students on an F1 Visa is the Student Secure Health Insurance
plan. The Student Secure provides monthly international student health insurance coverage with benefits that will meet most schools requirements.

Aviator College is approved by the INS to issue paperwork for visas under the Foreign Student Exchange Visitor Programs.

Aviator College provides a certificate of eligibility (I-20) to all admitted international students. The form is used to apply for the F-1 or M-1 Visa. The form verifies to U.S. immigration officials the student is academically qualified to attend the College, and has sufficient funds to cover the required period of study, and that subsequent funds will be available for the future. Students must demonstrate proof of financial support at the time of application.

Aviator policy states that students are required to attend for one full semester when entering the United States on a College provided I-20 form. Aviator College will not release a student to another educational institution until the student completes one semester.

Upon receipt of your deposit and the Application for Enrollment, you will receive the original I-20 or IAP-66 student visa form via overnight mail at the address provided. Remember you must provide a complete physical address in order for delivery to occur.
You must take the original visa form to the U.S. Embassy in your country for approval. Please inform admissions of your tentative arrival date and your flight information so a representative may meet you at the airport to welcome you to the USA and Aviator College of Aeronautical Science & Technology. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
If you have applied for a visa you will also need to register with S.E.V.I.S . at – see their website for details.

Contact your local US embassy to make an appointment, and ensure you have the required documentation and follow the correct procedure for the visa interview. READ Your local US embassy website extremely carefully!


Choose Flight School With Highly Trained and Certified Flight Instructors

February 11, 2014 Leave a comment

Choose Flight School With Highly Trained and Certified Flight InstructorsSome of the best flight training facilities are located in sunny Florida where the weather provides optimal flying time. Once the location is established the next contributing factor to finding a good flight school is quality of flight training programs and its flight instructors.

Florida attracts some of the top flight instructors. Flight training under the best instructors ensures that pilot students catch the material faster, get credibility, and learn things they might not learn with other instructors.

The FAA issues a Certified Flight Instructor Certificate (CFI) and a Certified Flight Instructor – Instrument (CFII or CFI-I) add-on certificate. For your initial flight instructor certificate, the checkride is done with an FAA examiner. For the add-on instrument certificate, any designated examiner will suffice.

Outlined below are requirements become a Certified Instructor Certificate (CFI):

  • Flight instructor applicants must be at least 18 years old
  • Be able to read, speak, write and understand English
  • Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or an airline transport pilot (ATP) certificate.

You’ll need at least a 3rd class medical to act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft while instructing, but in fact, a flight instructor is not required to have a current medical certificate if they aren’t acting as pilot in command or performing duties of a required crewmember.

For the CFI certificate, there are two initial exams:

  1. The FOI (Fundamentals of Instruction) Exam
  2. FAA Certified Flight Instructor Knowledge Exam.

The FOI covers topics related to teaching, such as the learning process, effective teaching elements, training techniques, etc. The knowledge exam covers everything that you have learned up until this point, including all recreational, private and commercial topics, as well as instrument, multi-engine and high-performance topics.

What To Look For In Your Flight Instructor

Your primary instructor should be at least a certificated flight instructor (CFI). Ensure that your instrument instructor has an instrument instructor rating (CFII). Instrument training received from a non-rated instructor can cause problems when it comes to meeting FAA requirements.

The flight instructor is the cornerstone of aviation safety. The FAA has adopted an operational training concept that places the full responsibility for student training on the authorized flight instructor. In this role, the instructor assumes the total responsibility for training the student pilot in all the knowledge areas and skills necessary to operate safely and competently as a certificated pilot in the National Airspace System. This training will include airmanship skills, pilot judgment and decision making, and accepted good operating practices.

An FAA certificated flight instructor has to meet broad flying experience requirements, pass rigid knowledge and practical tests, and demonstrate the ability to apply recommended teaching techniques before being certificated. In addition, the flight instructor’s certificate must be renewed every 24 months by showing continued success in training pilots, or by satisfactorily completing a flight instructor’s refresher course or a practical test designed to upgrade aeronautical knowledge, pilot proficiency, and teaching techniques.

A pilot training program is dependent on the quality of the ground and flight instruction the student pilot receives. A good flight instructor will have a thorough understanding of the learning process, knowledge of the fundamentals of teaching, and the ability to communicate effectively with the student pilot.

A good flight instructor will use a syllabus and insist on correct techniques and procedures from the beginning of training so that the student will develop proper habit patterns. The syllabus should embody the “building block” method of instruction, in which the student progresses from the known to the unknown. The course of instruction should be laid out so that each new maneuver embodies the principles involved in the performance of those previously undertaken. Consequently, through each new subject introduced, the student not only learns a new principle or technique, but broadens his/her application of those previously learned and has his/her deficiencies in the previous maneuvers emphasized and made obvious.

If you plan to attend flight school, why not choose a school with top flight instructors.

Flight Instructors At Aviator Flight Training Academy Located in Florida

Aviator’s Faculty and Flight Training Instructors are hired directly from the ranks of our graduating student population and have more than 200 hours of multi-engine flight time.

The Faculty at Aviator College hold a minimum of a Bachelors Degree and teach all flight training, classroom based courses.

The Academy Flight Instructors are hired directly from the ranks of Aviator graduates. The Flight Training Instructors work one-on-one with their students in the air.

Students often complete the entire program with the same Flight Training Instructor, which allows them to find a comfortable relationship and learn faster. Flight Training Instructors are available to fly with students 24 hours-a-day, rain or shine.

We encourage our Flight Training Instructors to provide actual instrument flight time with their students whenever possible to gain real-world experience. Our Flight Training Instructors continue to grow in their skills while flying in the high density traffic operations of Florida’s airspace.

To speak with an instructor contact the college at 772-672-8222.

What To Know Before Your Start Your Flight Training

February 9, 2014 Leave a comment

What To Know Before Your Start Your Flight TrainingFlight training has been linked and compared to learning to drive an automobile. It is a false belief and the two activities are completely different and should not be compared. An airplane operates in a different environment, three dimensional, it requires a type of motor skill development that is more sensitive to this situation such as:


The ability to use the hands and feet together subconsciously and in the proper relationship to produce desired results in the air-lane.


The application of muscular coordination at the proper instant to make flight, and all maneuvers incident thereto, a constant smooth process.

Control touch

The ability to sense the action of the airplane and its probable actions in the immediate future, with regard to attitude and speed variations, by the sensing and evaluation of varying pressures and resistance of the control surfaces transmitted through the cockpit flight controls.

Speed Sense

The ability to sense instantly and react to any reasonable variation of airspeed.

For those who which to master the art of flying, we list some important facts and considerations.

As outlined the FAA’s Airline Handbook, the overall purpose of primary and intermediate flight training is the acquisition and honing of basic airmanship skills. Airmanship is:

  1. A sound acquaintance with the principles of flight
  2. The ability to operate an airplane with competence and precision both on the ground and in the air
  3. The exercise of sound judgment that results in optimal operational safety and efficiency.
Where To Get Flight Training

The major sources of flight training in the United States include FAA-approved pilot schools and training centers, non-certificated (14 CFR part 61) flying schools, and independent flight instructors. FAA “approved” schools are those flight schools certificated by the FAA as pilot schools under 14 CFR part 141. Application for certification is voluntary, and the school must meet stringent requirements for personnel, equipment, maintenance, and facilities. The school must operate in accordance with an established curriculum, which includes a training course outline (TCO).

The TCO must contain student enrollment prerequisites, detailed description of each lesson including standards and objectives, expected accomplishments and standards for each stage of training, and a description of the checks and tests used to measure a student’s accomplishments. FAA-approved pilot school certificates must be renewed every 2 years.

Renewal is contingent upon proof of continued high quality instruction and a minimum level of instructional activity. Training at an FAA certificated pilot school is structured. Because of this structured environment, the CFRs allow graduates of these pilot schools to meet the certification experience requirements of 14 CFR part 61 with less flight time. Many FAA certificated pilot schools have designated pilot examiners (DPEs) on their staff to administer FAA practical tests. Some schools have been granted examining authority by the FAA. A school with examining authority for a particular course or courses has the authority to recommend its graduates for pilot certificates or ratings without further testing by the FAA.

FAA-approved training centers are certificated under 14 CFR part 142. Training centers, like certificated pilot schools, operate in a structured environment with approved courses and curricula, and stringent standards for personnel, equipment, facilities, operating procedures and record keeping. Training centers certificated under 14 CFR part 142, however, specialize in the use of flight simulation (flight simulators and flight training devices) in their training courses.

Why Choose FAA Approved Flight School

Enrollment in an FAA-approved pilot school usually ensures a high quality of training. Approved schools must meet prescribed standards with respect to equipment, facilities, personnel, and curricula. However, individual flight instructors and training companies that are not certificated by the FAA as “pilot schools” may also offer high quality training, but find it impractical to qualify for FAA certification.

Another difference between training provided by FAA-approved pilot schools and other providers is that fewer flight hours are required to be eligible for a pilot certificate when the training is received through an approved school. The flight hour requirement for a private pilot certificate is normally 40 hours, but may be reduced to 35 hours when training with an approved school. However, since most people require 60 to 75 hours of training, this difference may be insignificant.

Check for FAA-approved pilot school locations online.

Choosing A Flight Training Provider

You must make your own decision on where to obtain flight training. Once you have decided on a general location, you might want to make a checklist of things to look for in a training provider. By talking to pilots and reading articles in flight magazines, you can make your checklist and evaluate different options. Your choice of a provider might depend on whether you are planning on obtaining a recreational or private certificate or whether you intend to pursue a career as a professional pilot. Another consideration is whether you will train part-time or full-time.

Do not make the mistake of making your determination based on financial concerns alone. The quality of training you receive is very important. Prior to making a final decision, visit the provider you are considering and talk with management, instructors, and students. Evaluate the items on the checklist you developed and then take some time to think things over before making your decision.

After you have decided where you will learn to fly and have made the necessary arrangements, you are ready to start your training. An important fact: ground and flight training should be obtained as regularly and frequently as possible. This assures maximum retention of instruction and the achievement of proficiency with the least expenditure of time and money.

Why Choose Aviator Flight School For Your Pilot Training
  • Licensed by the State of Florida Commission For Independent Education License #4155
  • Aviator Flight Training Academy is a Division of Aviator College of Aeronautical Science & Technology, which is licensed by the State of Florida Commission for Independent Education and Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges.
  • 27 Years in the Flight Training Industry
  • To date, Aviator has trained over 5000 pilots for the commercial airline industry
  • Only School Offering 200 Hours of Multi-Engine Time
  • Aviator is the only flight school that has a full 200 hours of multi-engine time included in our program
  • No Flight Training Devices (Simulators)
  • FTDs are not used towards your flight time for any ratings
  • Approved by the Federal Department of Education to offer Title IV Loans
  • Aviator has the ability to offer students federal funding on approved accredited programs
  • Job Placement Assistance with Regional Airlines
  • Aviator offers job placement assistance for our graduates
  • “A” Rating with United States Better Business Bureau
  • Classroom Environment – All classes taught in our educational center, NOT online