Archive for July, 2013

Professional Flight Training Depends on The Type Of Flight School You Choose

Professional Flight Training Depends on The Type Of Flight School You ChooseAlthough there are many flight schools and aviation colleges offering aviation training programs, you should be on the look out for facilities, instructors and standards. Seek references from friends and family where possible and make use of credible online references. This will ensure you get world class training that will not only help you secure a job but that will ensure your personal safety.

Without any aviation experience selecting a good school can be a formidable task. Just as checklists are important that ensure the safety of each flight, the same procedure can be applied to selecting a good flight school. Flight school location, quality of flight training programs and knowledge of your flight instructors should be a top priority on your flight school checklist.

Types of Flight Schools

Although all flight schools train pilots how to fly aircraft in a safe manner, key differences exist between the two primary forms of flight schools. Federal Aviation Regulation, or FAR, Part 141 flight schools are highly structured training centers with well-defined and FAA-approved curricula. In contrast, FAR Part 61 schools are less-structured schools without a defined curriculum. Although these schools often are less expensive for students to attend, they require individuals to complete more flight training hours than Part 141 centers.

Enrollment in an FAA-approved school usually ensures a high quality of training. FAA-approved schools meet prescribed standards with respect to equipment, facilities, personnel, and curricula.

When you begin your flight school selection process, you must first understand the terms used in describing flight schools and their level of certification. The most basic level of flight training facility operates under Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 61. The regulation identifies the minimum certification requirements for all pilot and flight instructors. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has no direct oversight as to the day-to-day operations of flight schools operating under FAR Part 61.

One of the differences between FAA-approved schools and non-approved schools is that fewer flight hours are required to qualify for a pilot certificate in an FAA-approved flight school. The requirement for a private pilot certificate is 40 hours in a non-approved school, and 35 hours in an approved school. However, since most people require 60 to 75 hours of training, this difference may be insignificant for a private pilot certificate.

All FAR Part 141 schools must undergo a lengthy and very thorough evaluation by the FAA prior to conducting training. They must have in place a management structure that meets the minimum experience requirements as outlined in FAR Part 141. The FAR Part 141 course curriculum has a minimum standard outlined in the appendix section of FAR Part 141 and must obtain FAA approval prior to conducting training. Due to this increased FAA participation , FAR Part 141 training facilities are able to offer the same certification courses as FAR Part 61 facilities, but with reduced minimum requirements. The pilot applicants are held to the same standards as outlined in the appropriate PTS.

Depending on your flight training needs, the location of the flight school may play a large role in the quality of the course. Florida is a great place for flight training as the weather stays warm throughout the year. If you select a training facility in a region that often experiences poor weather conditions such as rain, fog, thunderstorms , and strong winds , your number of flights may be reduced.

Which type of flight school is best for you depends on your needs, available time, and other factors, such as veteran’s benefit eligibility (only Part 141 schools can qualify for VA-reimbursed training) and location. When it comes to the FAA checkride, which is the same for all, it doesn’t matter where you learned to fly, only how well—including your understanding of aviation academic material.

Although flight schools fall into two basic categories, Part 61 or Part 141, there is a third category that bears serious consideration by prospective pilots, particularly those planning a professional piloting career: nationally accredited pilot training institutions. Accredited flight schools must meet rigid standards of accountability for virtually every area of operation and must apply to an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Aviation college degree programs also play a large part in today’s pilot training marketplace. If you are planning a professional flying career, an aviation degree may make you more competitive. A plus in seeking a degree is that in many cases you are eligible for financial aid and scholarships that will assist you, not only in your academic endeavors, but in flight training as well.

Why Choose Aviator Flight School For Your Pilot Training
  • Licensed by the State of Florida Commission For Independent Education License #4155
  • Aviator Flight Training Academy is a Division of Aviator College of Aeronautical Science & Technology, which is licensed by the State of Florida Commission for Independent Education and Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges.
  • 27 Years in the Flight Training Industry
  • To date, Aviator has trained over 5000 pilots for the commercial airline industry
  • Only School Offering 200 Hours of Multi-Engine Time
  • Aviator is the only flight school that has a full 200 hours of multi-engine time included in our program
  • No Flight Training Devices (Simulators)
  • FTDs are not used towards your flight time for any ratings
  • Approved by the Federal Department of Education to offer Title IV Loans
  • Aviator has the ability to offer students federal funding on approved accredited programs
  • Job Placement Assistance with Regional Airlines
  • Aviator offers job placement assistance for our graduates
  • “A” Rating with United States Better Business Bureau
  • Classroom Environment – All classes taught in our educational center, NOT online


Distributed by Viestly


Professional Pilot Associations. Why Being A Member is Important

Professional Pilot Associations. Why Being A Member is ImportantTo be hired as a professional pilot you need flight experience. Your level of experience is based on the number and complexity of aircraft you have flown, the quantity and complexity of the flying you did (jet or propeller, day or night, local or cross-country, flying with visibility or flying using only instruments, etc.) and which crew positions you’ve held.

Most successful pilot applicants at major airlines have thousands of flight hours. Secondary airlines (regional or commuter) may have lower requirements.

Employment of airline and commercial pilots is expected to grow 11 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Regional airlines and low-cost carriers will present the best job opportunities. Pilots seeking jobs at the major airlines will face strong competition. Attending professional flight training exhibitions is essential for anyone considering employment as a professional pilot.

The Importance Pilot Networking

Aviation is a small world and the pilot group even smaller. It’s crucial to cultivate friendships with the pilots and other industry people you come across during your training and career.

Today, it also means being active on discussion boards (forums) online and staying informed of what’s going on in the industry around you. Airline pilot message boards have many active members whose combined knowledge is greater than any group of friends you might have. Ask questions, seek advice, and you’ll be farther ahead than most in your networking efforts.

For student pilots and CFIs, now’s the time to start! Have a business card made for yourself, and pass it around to people in the industry you run into. Have a short “elevator speech” that sums up the direction you’re headed. Something such as, “I’m building time right now flight instructing; looking forward to getting on with a regional. Eventually I want to fly for a major airline.” When others see your determination and goal setting, many will offer advice and even future job leads! Your enthusiasm will be contagious.

For those pilots happily employed, a great job today doesn’t mean you won’t need any contacts or help down the road tomorrow. Many pilots have been furloughed only to belatedly discover that they should have kept up with their old buddies at the other airlines.

A majority of pilot jobs across the country are filled every year by word of mouth. To stay ahead and improve your odds of finding good pilot employers, make every effort to get to know the pilots and industry contacts around you, and network like your career depends on it! Source

Professional Pilot Associations. Build Your Pilot Career By Becoming a Member

With a membership base of nearly 400,000 pilots and aviation enthusiasts in the United States, AOPA is the largest, most influential aviation association in the world. AOPA has achieved its prominent position through effective advocacy, enlightened leadership, technical competence, and hard work. Providing member services that range from representation at the federal, state, and local levels to legal services, advice, and other assistance, AOPA has built a service organization that far exceeds any other in the aviation community.

Membership Benefits
Whether you are a pilot, an aircraft owner, or an aviation enthusiast, AOPA provides the resources and support you need to sharpen your skills, keep informed, and stay connected to the GA community. Join AOPA today to enjoy all of the many exclusive benefits, services, and opportunities available to you as a member.

Members consistently rate advocacy as the number one reason they belong to AOPA—and with good reason. AOPA is on the front lines every day fighting to ensure that general aviation and the interests of our members are promoted and safeguarded at all levels of government. See how we advocate for you »
Visit AOPA website for complete info and details.


The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) is the largest airline pilot union in the world and represents more than 50,000 pilots at 33 U.S. and Canadian airlines. Founded in 1931, the Association is chartered by the AFL-CIO and the Canadian Labour Congress. Known internationally as US-ALPA, it is a member of the International Federation of Air Line Pilot Associations.

Why Union

  1. ALPA’s Team Approach to Negotiations.
  2. ALPA’s team approach to negotiations will secure a better collective bargaining agreement for pilots, helping achieve cornerstone contract improvements in fair pay, improved work rules, and a better quality of life.
  3. Making Pilots’ Jobs Safer and More Secure.
  4. ALPA, the world’s largest non-governmental aviation safety organization, makes pilots’ jobs safer and more secure, in the air and on the ground. ALPA plays a key role in government and industry efforts.
  5. ALPA’s Voice in Washington and Ottawa.
  6. ALPA, recognized as the voice of airline pilots in Washington, D.C., and Ottawa, has established the rapport pilots need with members of Congress, Parliament, and other government officials — powerful people who make decisions that directly affect the airline piloting profession.
  7. ALPA’s Products and Services Gives Pilots Peace of Mind and Protection.
  8. ALPA, the world’s largest pilot union, is in the best position to take care of pilots and their family. With programs and products tailored specifically to airline pilot needs, ALPA provides products and services that independent unions could never match.
  9. ALPA’s Global Presence Benefits Pilots in Many Ways.
  10. Only ALPA, the sole representative for pilots in both the U.S. and Canada for the International Federation of Air Line Pilots’ Association (IFALPA), can represent pilots’ interests at significant international and regional forums — including ICAO, the aviation arm of the United Nations.

Visit ALPA site for full info and details.

The United States Pilots Association (USPA) is a “grassroots” organization of general aviation pilots, dedicated to protecting General Aviation in the United States. Please review our site to learn more about how we can help you protect your right to fly, while also enjoying the benefits of participation in our association.


The complex issues affecting general aviation in the United States point out the necessity of a firm hand in its constructive development. Such a force and influence is the United States Pilots Association.
USPA offers you the opportunity to belong to an organization in which you can participate, and help set the course for the future of general aviation in our country. By working together, we can be a strong and effective force in the struggle to keep general aviation alive and healthy.

Areas of activity sponsored by USPA include aviation safety, pilot education, airport development, pilot seminars, aviation legislation awareness, awards for pilot proficiency, and many other state, regional, and national issues in which USPA has achieved a strong record and played an active role.

Aviator Flight Training Academy

Aviator Flight Training Academy offers professional pilot training programs with a minimum of 200 hours of multi-engine time. The flight school has a state of the art 37,000 square foot facility, featuring a CRJ Level 5 Flight Training Device (Simulator), large classrooms and individual briefing rooms.

Contact Aviator
Schedule A Visit

Distributed by Viestly

What Aviation Education is Needed To Become A Professional Pilot

What Aviation Education is Needed To Become A Professional PilotBeing a pilot is a well-respected job in the community, and the pay is good in general. The education path you choose depends upon the type of pilot you want to become: a commercial pilot or just want to fly as a hobby with private pilot license in hand.

Whereas many pilots formerly came from the military where they gained their flying experience, more and more these days have a college education, an aviation degree even, with flight training from schools that are Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certified. As a result, more employers are reportedly beginning to require college degrees as well.

It takes much more than completing an educational aviation program to become an aircraft pilot, however. Depending on their responsibilities, pilots these days must have hundreds to thousands of hours of flight experience behind them. They might also have to fulfill other requirements.

There are typically pilots, or captains, and copilots, who operate larger aircraft. Captains, for example, are required to have air transport pilot licenses that include flying at night, by instruments and across country. Captains in some instances also have advanced ratings when it comes to things like instruments that help them with flying in low visibility conditions. Many airline companies also provide psychological and aptitude assessments.

In addition to sharing flying responsibilities, pilots and copilots monitor instruments, communicate with air traffic controllers and more. Pilots also plan flights and check aircraft before departure. They work with flight dispatchers and aviation weather forecasters to choose routes, altitudes and speeds based on weather conditions. Some larger aircraft also employ flight engineers who help the pilot and copilot by monitoring and operating the aircraft’s systems and instruments, repairing any minor problems en route and keeping an eye out for other aircraft. The flight engineer also handles responsibilities that have to do with communications – communicating with cabin crew members, for example, with the company that owns or manages the aircraft and with air traffic control.

It’s possible also to accumulate flight time by beginning work as a flight instructor. Some flight instructors fly charter planes or work part-time for air taxi companies and then advance to become corporate aircraft pilots. This experience can provide a better foundation for when those individuals become professionals.

Some colleges and universities offer FAA-certified flight training for credit toward an aviation degree, which can help reduce the amount of flight time it takes to sit for the required pilot’s license. Anyone who wants to sit for a pilot’s license must pass a rigid physical exam, along with written and flying tests, and more. Maintaining a pilot’s license requires continued education – and continually passing exams as well. Source

Aviation Degree

If you look for more then just a certificate then doing your flight training with a college is something to consider. Many colleges throughout the world offer degrees such as bachelor of aviation science or associates of aviation science. Stand alone these degrees do not qualify for any profession without your commercial pilot license (CPL) but make a good starting point if you want to do a masters degree in aviation. Also they look very good on your resume and may be a door opener when applying for a job.

Why an Aviation School or Aviation College?

Aviation schools and aviation colleges provide the best learning and training environments for students to succeed and prepare for a career in aviation. You may already be aware of the many benefits of going to college such as better paying jobs, access to a wider range of career choices, and exposure to a wide range of people and cultures. Going to an aviation school or aviation college also has many benefits.

An aviation school or aviation college will allow you to:
  • Gain greater knowledge and expand your skills in a specific aviation career field.
  • Earn an aviation degree, an associate’s degree, and/or bachelor’s degree in an aviation program.
  • Access a wide range of aviation resources and tools to help you with your aviation career.
  • Participate in various aviation internship programs.
  • Increase your chances of networking with aviation employers to gain employment.

Aviator College specializes specifically only on the development and training of future commercial pilots world-wide.

The Aeronautical Science Program prepares the graduate for a career in the aviation industry by providing a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, aeronautical sciences, aeronautical technology, and the aviation
industry. The graduate will receive an Associate of Science Degree from Aviator College with flight ratings from private pilot through commercial, with Flight Instructor ratings. This training is necessary to obtain employment, and by completing the associate’s degree you will set yourself apart from other applicants since a degree is preferred in the airline industry.

Aviator College is approved through the Accrediting Commission for Career Schools & Colleges, the State of Florida’s Commission for Independent Education and the Federal Department of Education to award two-year Associate’s Degrees in Aeronautical Science with a concentration in Flight Instruction.

To earn the Associate’s Degree in Aeronautical Science the student must earn a minimum of 73 credit hours to include: 18 General Education credits, 24 credit hours of lower division ground schools and flight training, 25 credit hours of upper division training, and 6 elective credits. Aviation courses are listed in order of progression.

For review of classes for 1st and 2nd year, please visit Aviator Flight Training Degree programs

Contact Aviator
Online Enrollment

Distributed by Viestly

Private Pilot License and FAA Practical Standard Tests

Private Pilot License and FAA Practical Standard TestsThe private pilot certificate is typically the first “pilot’s license” an aspiring pilot will obtain. This certificate enables you to act as Pilot in Command of an aircraft (typically single engine, however it is possible get a multi-engine certificate first).

PPL Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:
(a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or
(b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.
(c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If
the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical
reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that
applicant’s pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the
(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person’s home study on the
aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part that apply
to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.
(e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas
listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part.
(f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized
instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in Sec.
61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.
(g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply
to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.
(h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec.
61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.
(i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the
aircraft category and class rating sought.

As a private pilot you may:

Act as the Pilot-In-Command (PIC) of flights with passengers worldwide Demonstrate airplanes in flight if you have more than 200 hours PIC Tow gliders if you meet the respective PIC and training requirements.

PPL Limitations

You cannot be the Pilot-In-Command or second in command on a flight that is carrying passengers for compensation or hire. You can fly in connection with a business if flying is only incidental to that business. If your passengers contribute to the flying expenses you should be paying no less than your pro rata share of expenses. (ex: you and 3 passengers – you pay one quarter).

Private Pilot Flight Experience

Single Engine Rating
Total Time: 40 hours minimum which consists of at least:
Dual: 20 hours minimum of flight training with an instructor on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:
3 hours of cross country flight training in a single engine airplane;
3 hours of night flight training in a single engine airplane, that includes at least:
a) 1 cross country flight of over 100 nm total distance; and
b) 10 T/O’s and 10 landings to a full stop with each involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport.
3 hours of flight training by reference to instruments in a single engine airplane; and
3 hours of flight training in a single engine airplane within the 60 days prior to the practical test.
Solo: 10 hours minimum of solo flying in a single engine airplane on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:
5 hours of solo cross country flying;
1 solo cross country flight of at least 150nm total distance with full stop landings at 3 points and one segment of at least 50nm between T/O and landings; and
3 T/O’s and landings to a full stop at an airport with an operating control tower. Source

FAA Practical Test Standards Concept

Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 61 specifies the areas in which knowledge and skill must be demonstrated by the applicant before the issuance of a private pilot certificate or rating. The CFRs provide the flexibility to permit the FAA to publish practical test standards containing the Areas of Operation and specific Tasks in which pilot competency shall be demonstrated.

The FAA will revise this PTS whenever it is determined that changes are needed in the interest of safety.
Adherence to the provisions of the regulations and the practical test standards is mandatory for the evaluation of private pilot applicants.

The Flight Standards Service of the Federal Aviation Administration

(FAA) has developed these practical test standards as the standard that shall be used by FAA examiners when conducting Private Pilot —Airplane Practical Tests. Instructors are expected to use these practical test standards (PTS) when preparing applicants for practical tests. Applicants should be familiar with this PTS and refer to these standards during their training.

Applicants for a combined private pilot certificate with instrument Rating, in accordance with 14 CFR part 61, section 61 .65(a) And (g), must pass all areas designated in the Private Pilot PTS and the Instrument Rating PTS. Examiners need not duplicate tasks. For example , only one preflight demonstration would be required; However , the Preflight Task from the Instrument Rating PTS may be more extensive than the Preflight Task from the Private Pilot PTS to ensure readiness for IFR flight.

A combined checkride should be treated as one practical test, requiring only one application and resulting in only one temporary certificate, disapproval notice, or letter of discontinuance, as applicable. Failure of any task will result in a failure of the entire test and application.

Therefore, even if the deficient maneuver was instrument related and the performance of all VFR tasks was determined to be satisfactory, the applicant will receive a notice of disapproval. Source

Flight School and PPL Flight Training Programs

For more than 31 years Aviator has been the leader in multi-engine flight training. We have provided over 5000 professional pilots to the airline industry, both nationally and worldwide, through our Professional Pilot Flight Training Programs. Our FAA-certified Part 141 approved flight programs provide students with the skills and experience demanded by today’s commercial aviation industry. Aviator is accredited by the ACCSC (Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges).

Our Professional Pilot Program is set in a flight training, structured environment to ensure the student receives the knowledge that is required to be a professional pilot. This program is from 0 hours to over 250 hours, of which 200 hours will be multi-engine time. The program includes Private Pilot Single Engine through the Multi-Engine Flight Instructor Certificate. Cross Country flying is coast-to-coast, if desired.

When you choose Aviator, all flight training is logged in aircraft. Our Flight Training Devices (FTDs) are used for ground training purposes only. NO FTDs (SIMULATORS) ARE USED FOR FLIGHT TIME TOWARDS YOUR RATINGS!

This “hands-on” approach provides the best flight training environment for pilots of the future. We encourage training in actual instrument conditions. Flying at the Aviator is 24 hours-a-day, rain or shine. Aviator flight training programs offer more actual multi-engine time than any other school in the country. Our fleet of multi-engine aircraft are equipped with GPS and are being converted to EFIS Systems (Glass Cockpits).

Come and take a tour and see the Aviator difference.

Distributed by Viestly

International Students Enrollment Instructions For Flight Training in USA

International Students Enrollment Instructions For Flight Training in USAThe mission of the Alien Flight Student Program (AFSP) is to ensure that foreign students seeking training at flight schools regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) do not pose a threat to aviation or national security. Section 612 of the Vision 100 – Century of Aviation Reauthorization Act (Public Law 108-176, December 12, 2003) prohibits flight schools regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) from providing flight training to a foreign student unless the Secretary of Homeland Security first determines that the student does not pose a threat to aviation or national security.

Who must participate in the Alien Flight Student Program?

Persons seeking flight training must submit a request if they are not citizens or nationals of the U.S. and:

  1. They wish to receive flight training in the U.S. or its territories, regardless of whether training will lead to an FAA certificate or type rating; and/or
  2. They wish to receive flight training from an FAA-certificated facility, provider, or instructor that could lead to an FAA rating whether in the U.S. or abroad.
International Student Visa

If you are planning to come to the U.S. for the Aeronautical Science Degree Program (including flight training), you must enter on a Student Visa. The Aviator College is approved by the INS to issue paperwork for visas under the Foreign Student Exchange Visitor Programs.

Aviator College provides a certificate of eligibility (I-20) to all admitted international students. The form is used to apply for the F-1 or M-1 Visa. The form verifies to U.S. immigration officials the student is academically qualified to attend the College, and has sufficient funds to cover the required period of study, and that subsequent funds will be available for the future. Students must demonstrate proof of financial support at the time of application.
Aviator policy states that students are required to attend for one full semester when entering the United States on a College provided I-20 form. Aviator College will not release a student to another educational institution until the student completes one semester.

Aviator is approved by the INS to issue paperwork for the M-1 and F-1 visas under the foreign student exchange visitor program. The M-1 Visa may be issued to International Students who enroll in approved courses. If you are planning to come to the U.S. for flight training, you must enter on an M-1 or a F-1 Student Visa.

NOTE: International students enrolling in one of our programs or individual courses must enter the United States on a visa issued by Aviator Flight Training Academy and must stay in Aviator housing for the entire duration of their visa.

Enrollment Guide for International Students
  1. Complete the Online Application & Deposit Form, Your deposit will be held on your student account and will secure your enrollment date.
  2. Submit all required eligibility documentation including, an “official transcripts” translated and certified to be at least the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma. You must use one of the following providers listed in for certification of your educational diplomas. Copies of any pilot certificates received, college entrance examination scores (ACT, SAT, CLAST or equivalent), TOFEL scores (if required), a 500 word essay entitled “Why I Want To Be A Pilot” and any material that will help the registrars office determine eligibility for enrollment and transfer credit. Note you may send an unofficial transcript for planning purposes, however the college must have an official transcript on file before the start of classes. You may email, fax or mail these documents. For a list of transcription services see below.
  3. When you receive the I-20 form from us you will also need to register with SEVIS – see their website for details. You will need to fill out the I-901 Form and Payment
  4. Contact your local US Embassy to make an appointment, and ensure you have the required documentation and follow the correct procedure for the visa interview. Read your local US Embassy website extremely carefully!
  5. Contact Admissions at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to coordinate start date and arrival details. FAA Medical & Fingerprints can be completed on arrival at Aviator
  6. Register with the TSA for all courses –

Information you will need about Aviator for TSA registration:

  1. Training Provider: Ari Ben Aviator, Inc.
  2. You will be a category 03 request with course codes as listed below: (Professional Pilot Program will need all three)
  3. Private Pilots License or (Initial Rating) – 01 Aircraft to be used “Cessna 172”
  4. Multi Engine Rating – 02 Aircraft to be used ” BE-76 Beechcraft Duchess
  5. Instrument Rating – 03 Aircraft to be used ” BE-76 Beechcraft Duchess, Cessna 172, or PA-28 160 Piper Warrior” List all 3 aircraft on the training request.
  6. Pay the TSA a $130 processing fee for each course (Directly to the TSA, credit cards accepted)

If you hold a foreign license and ratings you will also need to complete the FAA foreign license verification process –

F1 VISA Program

F1 Visa program is for aspiring International Students who wish to enroll in our Professional Flight Training Program and then stay with us as Flight Instructors to help build their time toward the ATP Rating. (Airline Transportation Pilot Rating, 1500 hours). The Program takes 24 months for completion. Phase one of your training takes approximately nine months to complete. Phase two is the OPT program where you stay on as a flight instructor to build your time towards the 1500 hours. Our Flight Instructors typically flying 70 to 120 hours a month of which approximately half of the hours are multi-engine.

Degree seeking students enrolled in the College will complete twelve months of instruction, 8 months of CPT (Internship), and then be offered an opportunity to stay on as an instructor in the F1 OPT Visa program.

Contact Aviator

Distributed by Viestly

Flight Training Questions and Answers For Student Pilots

Flight Training Questions and Answers For Student Pilots

What Are Part 61 and Part 141 FAA Flight School Programs?

The Federal Aviation Administration governs flight instruction under two sets of regulations: Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) Part 61 and FAR part 141. FAR Part 61 are rules that regulate the certification, privileges and limitations of pilots. FAR Part 141 are rules that govern flight training at certain flight schools. Not all schools meet Part 141 requirements, nor do they have to. You can train at any flight school, whether the school is 141 rated or not. Training for a pilot license under part 141 rules is very rigid and inflexible. Training for a private pilot’s license under part 61 regulations offers a great deal of flexibility in terms of scheduling and instruction sequencing.

What is ground school?

Flight training is divided into two parts: ground school and flight training. Ground school teaches students the principles, procedures and regulations that are put into practice during flight lessons. One portion of the certification process consists of a computerized exam. Ground school is designed to prepare students for this test. Ground school classes come in various formats, whether it is a classroom session, a computer based course or a home prep-course. An instructor’s endorsement is required for a student to take the FAA test.

What is the check ride like?

The FAA checkride consists of a 2 part process, an oral test and a flight test. During the oral portion, the examiner will quiz the applicant on what was learned in ground school and ask practical questions. The flight test is ensure the applicant is a safe and competent pilot. Checkride examiners job is to see that only safe applicants become pilots.

Types of Pilot Schools

Most airports have pilot training available, either by flying schools or individual flight instructors. A school will usually provide a wide variety of training aids, special facilities, and greater flexibility in scheduling. A number of colleges and universities also provide pilot training as a part of their curricula.

There are two types of schools. One is normally referred to as an “FAA-approved school” and the other as a “non-approved school.”

Enrollment in an FAA-approved school usually ensures a high quality of training. FAA-approved schools meet prescribed standards with respect to equipment, facilities, personnel, and curricula. However, many excellent pilot schools find it impractical to qualify for the FAA certification, and are referred to as non-approved schools.

One of the differences between FAA-approved schools and non-approved schools is that fewer flight hours are required to qualify for a pilot certificate in an FAA-approved school. The requirement for a private pilot certificate is 40 hours in a non-approved school, and 35 hours in an approved school. However, since most people require 60 to 75 hours of training, this difference may be insignificant for a private pilot certificate.

Knowledge Tests

Communication between individuals through the use of words is a complicated process. In addition to being an exercise in the application and use of aeronautical knowledge, a knowledge test is also an exercise in communication since it involves the use of written language. Since the tests involve written rather than spoken words, communication between the test writer and the person being tested may become a difficult matter if both parties do not exercise care. For this reason, considerable effort is expended to write each question in a clear, precise manner.

When is the first solo endorsement required?

A student pilot must have a first solo endorsement dated within 90 days prior to any solo flight.

What is the difference between a recreational pilot certificate and a private pilot certificate?

The recreational pilot has fewer privileges than the private pilot. The holder of a recreational pilot certificate is allowed to fly an aircraft within 50 nautical miles from the airport where instruction was received and cannot operate in airspace where communications with air traffic control are required. Since qualification training in these areas is not required, a person should be able to obtain a recreational pilot certificate in fewer flight hours than required for a private pilot certificate. All privileges and limitations of the recreational pilot certificate are listed in 14 CFR part 61, section 101.

Is there a set number of flight instructional hours I will receive before I solo?

No. The instructor will not allow you to solo until you have learned to perform certain maneuvers. These maneuvers include safe takeoffs and landings. You must be able to maintain positive control of the aircraft at all times and to use good judgment.

What does an appropriate logbook endorsement for solo mean?

It means a verification by an authorized flight instructor showing that on the date specified, the student was given dual instruction and found competent to make solo flights.

Does a student pilot automatically have the privilege of cross-country flying after soloing?

No. Flight instructor must have reviewed the pilot’s preflight planning and preparation for solo cross-country flight and determine that the flight can be made safely under the known circumstances and conditions. The instructor must endorse the student pilot’s logbook prior to each cross-country flight, stating the pilot is considered competent to make the flight.

Under certain conditions, an instructor may authorize repeated solo flights over a given route.

What is Aviation English

The ICAO International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has introduced language proficiency requirements for air traffic controllers and pilots with the objective to improve the level of language proficiency globally and reduce the frequency of communication errors. Historically, insufficient English language proficiency on the part of the flight crew or the controller has contributed to a number of accidents and serious incidents.

The ICAO Language Proficiency requirements are applicable to both native and non- native English speakers. According to ICAO the burden for improved communications should not be seen as falling solely on non-native speakers – ICAO Doc 9835 states: “Native speakers of English, too, have a fundamentally important role to play in the international efforts to increase communication safety.”

The proficiency scale ranges from Level 1 to Level 6, with guidelines published for:

  • Pronunciation
  • Fluency
  • Structure
  • Vocabulary
  • Comprehension
  • Interaction

ICAO Language Proficiency Rating Scale –see details here

What are the requirements for a student pilot certificate?

A. To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, a person must:
(1) be at least 16 years of age, except for the operation of a glider or balloon,
in which case the applicant must be at least 14 years of age; and
(2) be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.

How long are my student pilot and medical certificates valid?

The student pilot certificate will expire at the end of the 24th month after the month in which it was issued. The third-class medical certificate will expire at the end of the 36th month after the month in which it was issued. A medical certificate issued after the age of 40, expires at the end of the 24th month in which it was issued.


What Is Aviation Associate Degree Program

The Aeronautical Science Program prepares the graduate for a career in the aviation industry by providing a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, aeronautical sciences, aeronautical technology, and the aviation industry. This training is necessary to obtain employment, and by completing the associate’s degree you will set yourself apart from other applicants since a degree is preferred in the airline industry.

What Is The Post-9/11 GI-Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, entrepreneurship training, and tutorial assistance. All training programs must be approved for GI Bill benefits.


Distributed by Viestly

Student Pilot Road To Professional Pilot Career

Student Pilot Road To Professional Pilot CareerFor an airplane pilot, education takes many forms, including applied instruction, a high school diploma, an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, and specialized training. The Federal Aviation Administration also requires pilots to accumulate a lot of real-world knowledge in the form of flight-hours. Acquiring all this takes years — how many depends on the kind of pilot a person becomes.

Few of the major airlines require a college degree for employment, but in the past several years, more than 95 percent of the pilots hired have at least a four-year college degree. If you want an airline job, you stand a better chance if you are among the 95 percent with a degree than the 5 percent without one.

Despite all the applications, interviews, and examinations, hiring a new pilot is a risk, say airline human resource personnel. There’s always the chance that a pilot might not do as well as the selection process indicates. This wastes a lot time and money, which any airline must use effectively if it hopes to survive and prosper. For this reason, airlines hire pilots with proven skills and abilities because they are the most likely to return the airline’s training investment.

The airlines’ preference for college-educated pilots is only natural because colleges and universities have tailored their academic and flight programs to meet the industry’s specific needs. They understand that while good stick-and-rudder skills are important, it takes more then knowing how to fly to be an aviation professional.

How do you start? Where do you train and which flight training programs you choose?
The overview below highlights the steps you need to begin your career as a professional pilot.

Beginning Flight Training

To begin flying, not even a high school diploma is necessary. The FAA does require people to read, write and speak English, though. Flight school, military training or private lessons give beginners their initial flight education. People wanting to fly recreationally can end their education here, graduating from student to recreational pilot by passing the test for a recreational certificate. Most pilots continue on, since the recreational certificate has many restrictions, including no passengers, no night flights and no ability to earn money for flight services.

Student Instruction

Learning to fly involves acquiring both hands-on and classroom knowledge, similar to the way many vehicle driver’s education courses require both classroom hours and driving. For pilots-in-training, ground school supplies classroom time. Ground school takes place in classrooms, through home study or with a private instructor. Courses include radio communications, weather, emergency procedures and FAA regulations. Flight training is done in “dual flights” — that is, the student flies with an instructor on board. With experience, the student goes on to fly solo.

Special Training

The FAA requires professional pilots to hold certain certificates and ratings. Ratings prove pilots have proficiency in specialized skills. Pilots test for certificates according to education, experience and training. Professional pilots need at least a commercial pilot certificate, an instrument rating — the pilot can fly using instruments alone — and a multi-engine rating, allowing pilots to fly aircraft other than single-engine planes. Military or flight schools provide the necessary instruction. In flight school, beginners can earn minimum professional credentials in 10 months to two years, according to AvScholars.


Most professional pilot jobs also prefer college, and many require it. Jobs requiring only a high school diploma include flight instructor, ferry pilot and agricultural pilot. Jobs preferring college include test and charter pilots. Jobs at regional and major airlines almost always demand a bachelor’s degree. Instead of earning a degree separately from flight school, would-be pilots can attend a community college or university that offers flight training for college credit. Students earn degrees in aeronautic- and aviation-related fields. Florida Institute of Technology, for instance, offers a B.S. in either aviation management or aeronautical science with a flight option.

Experience as a Teacher

Experience schools pilots. As the Air Line Pilots Association explains, “Experience is vital because no two flights are alike, and the manner in which a particular flight is conducted will depend on many factors.” Variable factors include the weather, air traffic control, passengers, and airline and regulatory requirements. The association asserts that only experience adequately prepares pilots to safely handle whatever situation might arise. The FAA agrees. To become a major airline pilot, the agency requires 1,500 flight hours. Source

Aviator College Flight Training Degree Programs

Aviator College Aeronautical Science Program includes 565 flight hours and more multi-engine time than any other college or flight school. NO FTDs (Simulators) are used towards flight time requirements. Our large multi-engine fleet is equipped with Garmin 430s, and ASPEN EFIS is being introduced.

The Aeronautical Science Program prepares the graduate for a career in the aviation industry by providing a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, aeronautical sciences, aeronautical technology, and the aviation industry. The graduate will receive an Associate of Science Degree, ratings through Flight Instructor Multi-Engine, including the ratings necessary to obtain intermediate level employment. The flight training sequence for this program consists of of four flight-training modules plus additional flight training as specified in each option.

Aviation Associates of Science Degree

(Flight Instructor or Flight Operations Options)

  • 565 Flight Hours
  • Majority hours Multi-Engine /home/flight-training-programs/multi-engine-time-building-programs.aspx
  • Single Engine Private Pilot
  • Private Multi-Engine
  • Multi-Engine Instrument
  • Multi-Engine Commercial
  • Single Engine Commercial
  • Multi-Engine Flight Instructor
  • Instrument Flight Instructor
  • Single Engine Flight Instructor
  • Aircraft for check rides
  • Cross Country flying coast-to-coast
  • No FTDs (Simulators) used towards flight time
  • Jet Transition and CRJ 200 Full Panel Level 5 FTD training,
  • Eight months paid Internship – Earn a Mininum of $6,120
  • General Education Courses – 18 Hours
  • Classroom Environment – All aviation subject classes taught in our educational center, NOT online
  • Gainful Employment Disclosure

*Transfer Credit may be granted for general education requirements and flight licenses obtained.

To review the required courses and suggested order see the current catalog.

Distributed by Viestly