Archive for April, 2013

Multi Engine Rating Add On To PPL and CPL

Multi Engine Rating Add On To PPL and CPLIs your goal to be an airline or corporate pilot? Do you need the required multi engine flight time? Most commuter airlines require you to have at least one hundred hours of twin engine flight time and do not accept safety pilot flight time. Multi engine time building is one of the most important and expensive tasks that aspiring commercial pilots must undertake.

The requirements for a multi-engine rating differ for Private Pilot License and Commercial Pilot License

Add-on to Private Pilot License
  • Must have at least 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a multiengine airplane.
  • Must have at least 3 hours of night flight training in a multiengine airplane.
  • Must have at least 3 hours of instrument flight training in a multiengine airplane.
  • Must have at least 3 hours of training in preparation for the practical test.
  • Must be capable of performing all private maneuvers in a multi-engine aircraft.
  • Must receive an endorsement from an instructor certifying that the applicant is prepared for the practical test.
  • Must pass a practical flight test with a Designated Flight Examiner.
Privileges & Limitations

May fly a multi-engine aircraft with private pilot privileges. A high performance endorsement is required to fly a multi-engine aircraft having engines over two hundred horsepower.

Add-on to Commercial Pilot Certificate
  • Must have at least 2 hours of day VFR cross-country training time.
  • Must have at least 2 hours of night VFR cross-country training.
  • Must have at least one cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles.
  • Must have at least 5 hours of instrument training.
  • Must have at least 10 hours in a multi-engine aircraft with retractable gear, flaps, and a constant speed prop.
  • Must have at least 5 hours at night with 10 takeoffs and landings at a controlled field.
  • Must have at least 3 hours of training in preparation for the practical test.
  • Must be capable of performing all commercial maneuvers in a multi-engine aircraft.
  • Must receive an endorsement from an instructor certifying that the applicant is prepared for the practical test.
Privileges & Limitations

May fly a multi-engine aircraft with commercial pilot privileges. A high performance endorsement is required to fly a multi-engine aircraft having engines over two hundred horsepower.
Non-instrument rated pilots have very limited commercial flight privileges.

Multi Engine Time Building & Flight Training Specials At Aviator Flight Training Academy

Our “Twin-Time Pilot” program offers 100 hours of Multi-Engine flight time anywhere within the Continental United States and the Caribbean. Aviator’s twin time program operates 24 hours-a-day, (24×7) rain or shine.

Lacking actual IMC flight time? Aviator encourages flights into IMC. We operate a fleet of Beechcraft Duchess, the majority of which are fully equipped with weather radar, Garmin 430, HSI, DME, and Intercoms. Fleet of aircraft are now being converted to EFIS systems “Glass Cockpit”

  • 50 hr. Multi Engine time building $ 7,780.00
  • 75 hr. Multi Engine time building $ 11,241.00
  • 100 hr. Multi Engine time building $ 14,702.00

Price Includes 5 hour Check out, Sales Tax, Insurance, & Fuel at $5.00 per gallon
Housing available for $ 650.00 per month or less

Featuring Beechcraft Aircraft Garmin

Our airplanes are maintained under 100-hour inspection programs which are provided by our own maintenance facility. If you are interested in acquiring additional ratings, please call our office for a quote. If you are not seeking an additional rating there is a 5 hour checkout billed at our dual rate that you will do with one of our highly qualified instructors. This checkout will include 5 hours of dual flight time and ground instruction on the airplane’s systems and procedures. The 5 hour checkout and the additional ratings (up to 10 hours) are flown within 50 hours. This checkout will come out of the first 5 hours of your time building time. We offer insurance for $1.00 per flight hour, which will cover the $ 5,000.00 deductible for any damage that may occur during your flight.

If you are taking a commercial flight to Florida, please make arrangements to arrive at either the West Palm Beach International Airport (KPBI) or Orlando International (KMCO) and we will pick you up.

Prices quoted are discounted by 4% based on payments made by certified funds, Cashiers checks and Money orders. We also accept MasterCard and Visa .We will NOT accept cash. Payment schedule will be two equal payments. A $ 500.00 non-refundable deposit is required for these packages, which will be applied to your flight training account.

Housing is available on campus at a rate of $35.00 per day or $650.00 per month (one person per bedroom). Shared rooms are also available at a reduced rate.

Multi Engine Flight Training FAQ

Q. Can the safety pilot log PIC?
A. Yes, Under FAA Regulations FAR 61.51 and 91.109

Q. Logging JAA P1 time?
A. JAA regulations state only one pilot can log PIC of a single pilot aircraft. (The Duchess is a single pilot aircraft.) If you are flying with another pilot or flight instructor, they may not log flight time.

Aviator Flight Training Academy, in conjunction with European Flight Training, will certify your logbook and verify your hours are logged in accordance with JAA regulations.

Packages are available in 25 hour blocks for multi-engine time with instructor for $7,750.00.
Single engine aircraft are available at reduced rates. Please contact Avaitor College for current rates.

Distributed by Viestly


Student Visas for Flight Training

Student Visas for Flight TrainingMany chose to study with a flight school abroad. To do this you are often required to obtain a visa from the country you wish to study in. In the United States everyone not holding a green card is required to have a student visa or higher. Listed below are different visas you can hold to fly in the Unites States.

M1- Vocational Visa – 1 year and on

Many part 141 flight schools accept international students on M1 visas. This is strictly a student visa and is usually obtained for one year at the time as long as you undergo training. It gives you the privilege of living in the United States and studying with the flight school issuing the visa application. Meaning the school has made a guarantee for you to the INS and you can therefore only study with that particular school on that particular visa.

You cannot work on an M1 visa; this includes part time work to cover your living.

J1 – Foreign Exchange Visa – 2 years

J1 is a visa offered by some flight schools through an exchange program. To you this means studying and later working as a pilot. The real difference from an M1 is that you can do practical job training; working in your trained profession to build more experience (building flight hours in other words).

Practically on a J1 visa you do flight training and are later intended to work as a flight instructor with the school. If you can’t get a job there you will be assisted in finding work elsewhere, but are still guaranteed for by the school issuing the visa and have to report all flying done on a regular basis.

The visa is issued for 2 years (24months) and can only be issued ones in a lifetime. Further to qualify you cannot hold any higher then an FAA private pilot license (PPL) and an instrument rating (IR). Not all countries are qualified for the J1 visa. If the flight school you wish to study with issue J1 visas they will tell if you qualify or not.

F1 – Academic Visa – 1 year and on

This visa is issued by a college or university and covers the length of your study. The benefit this visa has is that after the first year you can work part time to cover your living as long as you stay a full time student. This is done on the discretion of the college/university guaranteeing for your visa. If you want to get a degree in aviation as well as doing flight training it may be an idea to look for a university offering F1 visas.

The visa is not renewed after you graduate and will therefore expire. So if you want to build hours flying you also need to keep studying full time. This can be expensive and you don’t build hours very fast. (source)

US Visas Required for Flight Training

There are two types of U.S. visas available for international students’ flight training: The M-1 Visa and the F-1 Visa. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires all international students to conduct all their flight training only at a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) flight school which has been approved under Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 141. So be sure the U.S. flight school you are considering is an approved FAR Part 141 school.

The M-1 Visa is recommended for students interested in taking individual flight courses. The M-1(I-20 form) allows you to stay in the U.S. for up to 12 months; it can be extended, if needed for training. NOTE: The U.S. tourist visa is NOT allowed for flight training in the U.S.

The F-1 Visa is recommended for students interested in careers as professional pilots and who desire to complete a professional training program, which typically starts with study for a Private Pilot Certificate and progresses through the Commercial Certificate with Instructor Ratings. The F-1 (I-20 form) is 12 months in length and can be extended, if additional time is needed for training. Upon completion of a full professional flight training program, an F-1 Visa enables students (upon application and approval of DHS for your work authorization) to be eligible to work as flight instructors to build additional hours; this allows pilots to build up to 1,000+ hours of flight experience, which is advantageous when applying for employment with airlines.

All non US citizens planning to begin their flight training in USA should notify the flight school of their choice in advance that they intend to start flight training because the flight school also needs to register online with TSA before you begin flight training.

Student Visas Information for Aeronautical Science Degree Program
Aviator College of Aeronautical Science & Technology

If you are planning to come to the U.S. for the Aeronautical Science Degree Program (including flight training), you must enter on a Student Visa. The College is approved by the INS to issue paperwork for visas under the Foreign Student Exchange Visitor Programs.

Aviator College provides a certificate of eligibility (I-20) to all admitted international students. The form is used to apply for the F-1 or M-1 Visa. The form verifies to U.S. immigration officials the student is academically qualified to attend the College, and has sufficient funds to cover the required period of study, and that subsequent funds will be available for the future. Students must demonstrate proof of financial support at the time of application.

Aviator policy states that students are required to attend for one full semester when entering the United States on a College provided I-20 form. Aviator College will not release a student to another educational institution until the student completes one semester.

Upon receipt of your deposit and the Application for Enrollment, you will receive the original I-20 or IAP-66 student visa form via overnight mail at the address provided. Remember you must provide a complete physical address in order for delivery to occur.

You must take the original visa form to the U.S. Embassy in your country for approval. Please inform admissions of your tentative arrival date and your flight information so a representative may meet you at the airport to welcome you to the USA and Aviator College of Aeronautical Science & Technology.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

If you have applied for a visa you will also need to register with S.E.V.I.S . at – see their website for details.

Contact your local US embassy to make an appointment, and ensure you have the required documentation and follow the correct procedure for the visa interview. READ Your local US embassy website extremely carefully!

Distributed by Viestly

Choosing Aviation Degree Program In Aviation College

Choosing Aviation Degree Program In Aviation CollegeAviation is a very specific area of study and it is only available at certain colleges and universities. Since aviation is highly technical, there are entire trade schools that offer certificate programs in aviation.

The first step in figuring out how to choose your aviation school is to decide what area of aviation you would like to study. If you want to be a pilot, a degree in flight management or professional pilot would be helpful. There are several types of aviation degree programs, most of which involve learning how to pilot a plane as well as obtaining knowledge beyond what is required for a basic pilot’s license. While most pilot positions do not actually require a college degree, airlines prefer to see that applicants have the focus to complete college-level work. A degree in aviation can be obtained at the graduate level, which is a good qualification for researchers and teachers in aviation. An aviation maintenance degree is quite different from a degree that includes flight time, but this can be a good program for people interested in the technical aspects of flight.

Associate Degree Programs

Associate programs have many advantages such as smaller campuses and classes, and lower tuition. Because they are “community” colleges, you don’t have to pay room and board. Offsetting these advantages is the fact that because of their size, most community colleges don’t offer a full range of aviation programs. If you are considering an associate degree as the first step to a bachelor’s, some of your college credits may not transfer to the four-year school (more on this later).

Two-year degrees fall into three categories. An associate of arts (AA) is generally a transfer-type degree where most of your course work (general studies of such subjects as English, math, etc.) counts toward a bachelor’s. Most aviation programs lead to either an associate of science (AS) or an associate of applied science (AAS).

Designed to meet unique technical requirements, flight, electronics/avionics, and maintenance are the three most common associate programs. They generally require around 60 semester hours, with 15-20 hours devoted to general studies. Some schools also offer programs in aviation management, airport administration, air traffic control, and other specialized programs targeting specific segments of aviation.

Flight, sometimes called professional flight or career pilot, focuses on flight operations. This is where you learn to fly and earn your commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating, in addition to a degree. Some colleges have options for a multi-engine rating and/or a flight instructor certificate, depending on your specific career plans.

Electronic/avionics programs offer basic and advanced electronics theory, preparing you for the manufacturing, maintenance, troubleshooting, and testing of communication/navigation equipment. Graduates should qualify for the FCC General Telephone license. Some programs have two options – one for avionics (aircraft-based) and one for electronics (ground-based). Avionics prepares you for positions with equipment manufacturers and facilities that install and maintain the equipment. Electronics is primarily designed for those who want to work for the FAA, which maintains the nation’s communications and navigation systems. (There are some private-sector opportunities in this area, too).

Maintenance programs are designed to meet the minimum requirements of Federal Aviation Regulation Part 147 covering maintenance schools and earn graduates an FAA Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) Maintenance Technician certificate. They concentrate on the theoretical and practical knowledge of maintenance and repair, as well as relevant technical documentation methods, specifications and standards. Graduates who earn their A&P certificate will be qualified to work for an air carrier or general aviation maintenance facility.

If you plan to transfer to a four-year program, carefully evaluate the requirements for the bachelor’s degree you seek and relate them to your associate courses. Selecting a four-year school before starting your associate program and discussing the bachelor’s requirements with its admissions office will help you tailor your associate program to ensure the greatest transfer of college credit. Four-year schools sometimes classify courses as “upper division,” meaning they must be taken in your junior or senior years. Beware. If you take an upper-division course at a two-year school, the four-year school may not give you credit for it.

Bachelor’s Degree Programs

Most of the aviation programs lead to a bachelor of science (BS) degree. They are typically 120-130 semester-hour programs and require, on average, around four years to complete. Most can be categorized as management, flight, avionics, or maintenance.

The major difference between an associate and bachelor’s program is the general studies component and the breadth of aviation courses required. A typical bachelor’s program requires 45-60 hours of general studies: English, communications, humanities and social science; math/science/technology: algebra or calculus, chemistry and or physics; computer science; and management. Maintenance and avionics programs require higher levels of math (calculus), physics, and computer science, and management programs often require 9-15 hours of business management courses.

Twelve to 15 hours of aviation core subjects, such as introduction to aviation, aviation legislation/law, and aviation safety, are generally required by all programs to ensure that students get a broad introduction to all segments of aviation. Majors or options in aviation usually require 36-40 credit hours.
Aviation management, or aviation administration, prepares you for a variety of administrative and management positions. If you haven’t decided which aviation career to pursue, management would be the most appropriate choice. It generally has a strong foundation in business and management courses, including finance and personnel, and includes specialty courses that provide the focus needed for entry-level positions in such areas as airport management, airline management/operations and general aviation management/operations.

Flight programs (or professional flight, professional pilot, flight education, or airport systems management) prepare you for entry-level positions as a flight instructor, air carrier first or second officer, air-taxi pilot, and corporate pilot. They lead to commercial pilot certificates with instrument ratings and often include a multi-engine rating and/or flight instructor certificate.

Many institutions use flight training devices (simulators) extensively and emphasize cockpit resource management (CRM). Some add specialized flight in gliders, aerobatic aircraft, and helicopters as options to the basic flight curriculum. Some schools have formal or informal agreements with air carriers for internships that often lead to airline interviews after graduation.

Electronics/avionics programs are similar to their two-year cousins, only more comprehensive. Bachelor’s programs emphasize the science, mathematics, and computer courses necessary to prepare you for state-of-the-art equipment. The same is true for four-year maintenance programs. Since the FAA requires 1,900 contact hours for the technical portion of maintenance programs, there usually isn’t a lot of time left for subjects other than the basic aviation core. Some programs include basic management courses to prepare you for management positions.

Maintenance programs prepare you for entry-level positions with airlines, air-taxi operators, repair stations, and general aviation operators. Some grads seek employment with manufacturers as technical representatives or writers. Since much of the equipment and practical experience in schools is on general aviation aircraft, most graduates find themselves more adaptable to general aviation than air carriers, where new hires serve a lengthy training period to learn an airline’s aircraft and maintenance procedures.

Some programs combine maintenance and avionics to educate a maintenance technician who can troubleshoot not only the mechanical or electrical components of the aircraft, but also the newer, computerized electronic components. These programs often take five years to complete, but they address a growing demand for electronics/avionics qualified maintenance technicians.

In addition to these four “basic” bachelor’s programs, many institutions offer others, such as space studies, aviation computer science, atmospheric science, and teacher preparatory courses. Such specialized programs may be appropriate for students who already have a specific career and industry segment in mind and want the specialized education leading to that career field. Source

After you decide what degree in aviation you want to pursue you can begin to research the flight schools and aviation colleges to begin your studies. Do you research to ensure that the flight school you choose offers aviation degree program you wish to study.

Jump Start Your Career With Flight Training and an A.S. Degree from Aviator College 565 Flight Hours

Aviator College of Aeronautical Science & Technology provides the most cost effective airline pilot flight training programs and a two year Aviation degree in Aeronautical Science. The College has a state of the art 37,000 square foot facility, featuring a CRJ Level 5 Flight Training Device (Simulator). College student’s receive a minimum of 565 flight training hours in the aviation degree program. Graduates will have the opportunity to stay on as a flight training instructor.

Contact Aviator
Schedule a Tour
Online Enrollment

Distributed by Viestly

Continue Your Flight Training and Become CFI

Continue Your Flight Training and Become CFICertified Flight Instructors, or CFIs, teach pilot students how to fly an airplane. CFIs offer instruction on private piloting, instrument and commercial training and ground instruction. They also perform FAA-regulated flight check outs and proficiency checks. Depending upon the level of training, a CFI can teach either single- or multi-engine courses as well. To become a CFI, one must have certification from a major aviation organization that indicates that the flight instructor is a proficient pilot, has completed coursework on how to teach aviation and has passed one or more competency exams.

Flight instructors in the United States must hold at least a commercial pilot certificate or ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) certificate. Individuals wishing to give instruction in airplanes or powered-lift aircraft are additionally required to hold an instrument rating in the desired category and class. Holders of a sport pilot certificate may obtain a flight instructor certificate with sport pilot rating, allowing them to give instruction for the sport pilot certificate in light-sport aircraft.

People who want to teach others how to fly also have to take specialized classes pertaining to flight instruction. With a current pilot license, which is a requirement to enroll in these types of courses, the classes concentrate on topics such as how to calmly correct errors, judge when the student is in trouble and balance safety and instruction. They also may cover current aviation regulations.

An instrument rating is another common requirement for a certified flight instructor. The instrument rating is based on an examination of how well the individual can handle an aircraft or simulator using only the aircraft instruments. This rating is important because it shows that the individual can use the instruments to fly the plane even in situations such as inclement weather or poor visibility.

For legal reasons, a person who wishes to become a certified flight instructor commonly has to meet the minimum legal adult age in his jurisdiction. He can sometimes begin work on his licenses prior to this, however, but he cannot take the certification tests until he is of age.

Normally, a certified flight instructor focuses on one type of aircraft. This is necessary because even though the basic physics of flight do not change, plane design and technology does. Flying a small, single engine plane is very different than flying a helicopter or large passenger plane, for instance. The certification indicates the plane focus in most instances.

Those who teach flight principles and techniques may do so in different ways. For instance, they might lead traditional courses in a classroom setting. They also can work with students in simulators. Once the student performs well enough in the simulator, the instructor takes the student up in a dual-controlled aircraft, taking over the controls when necessary.

One quirk of being a certified flight instructor is that the schedule of work is not consistent. Instructors do not always have the same number of students, and they sometimes have to accommodate seasonal shifts (source).

Step by Step To Become CFI

Complete private pilot training and obtain your private pilot license. To complete this training, you must be at least 17 years old at the time of your FAA check ride for this license. You must also pass a medical exam, knowledge exam exam, practical flight and oral exam and meet the flight requirements demonstrating your ground course experience, solo flight capabilities and cross-country flying, all under visual flight rules (VFR).

Obtain your instrument rating. For this rating, you learn to fly using instrument flight rules (IFR) so that you may fly in less then favorable weather such as rain showers, low visibility and foggy conditions. You learn how to conduct an IFR approach into an airport for landing the airplane.

Become a commercial pilot. This license allows you to fly for hire, unlike a private pilot who may only fly for leisure purposes. In addition to having your private pilot license with instrument rating, you must pass a second-class medical exam and be at least 18 years old with 250 hours of total flight time. Of that time, you must meet the 10-hour multi-engine flight time if you plan to fly multi-engine aircraft for hire, meet the requirements for cross-country time and pilot in command (PIC) time. Like the private license, you must also pass a practical flight and oral exam, as well as a knowledge exam.

Take a CFI course, which includes a curriculum on how to fly the airplane from the right, or instructor’s seat, while teaching the fundamentals of piloting to a student. CFI courses include extensive training on the responsibility of teaching a student while maintaining safety at all times. This course also explains flight techniques, calmly correcting errors and encouraging students’ learning.

Maintain CFI performance and medical status in accordance to FAA regulations.

Above all, CFIs are intended to be a professional resource for up and coming pilots. CFIs should make learning fun while molding students to become safe and knowledgeable pilots. (source)

FAA Flight Instructor Training Package At Aviator Flight Training Academy

If you are looking to launch your Professional Pilot Career as a Certified Flight Instructor, then Aviator has the Instructor Course that’s right for you. You will receive up to 120 hours of ground instruction under the supervision of a Gold Seal Flight Instructor. In addition, you will receive the highest quality flight instruction necessary to become a superior flight instructor.

Requirements: FAA Single and Multi-engine Commercial Ratings with a minimum of 15 hours Multi-Engine PIC time.
Our FAA-approved training curriculum for the Certified Flight Instructor ratings includes:

  • Multi-Engine Flight Instructor
  • Single Engine Flight Instructor
  • Instrument Flight Instructor
  • Up to 120 Hours of Ground Training
  • 21 Hours of Flight Training
  • Spin Training
  • Course Duration: two months
  • Job opportunities for those who qualify

$ 7,000.00
Financing Available for those who qualify
(Approx. $1,500.00 additional for Written exams and Checkride fees)
A $ 1000.00 non-refundable deposit is required to accompany the enrollment form, which will be applied to your flight training account.

To speak with an instructor contact the college at 772-672-8222.
Contact Aviator
Schedule a Tour

Distributed by Viestly

Pilot and Co-pilot Dereferences

Pilot and Co-pilot DereferencesIn aviation, pilots receive certificates and ratings, rather than a “license”. The certificates are as follows:

  • Sport – This is the best type of certificate for individuals who wish to fly light sport aircraft. Sport pilots cannot carry more than one passenger, and are limited to daytime flight only.
  • Private – For pilots who wish to go to any airport in the country, in any aircraft, unlimited passengers, day or night, in fair weather, this certificate is the best option. Private pilots may share the expenses related to the flight with their passengers, but may not be compensated / paid for flying people to different destinations.
  • CommercialCommercial pilots can fly for hire and are required to have higher training standards than private or sport pilots.
  • Air Transport Pilots – ATP’s as they are called, typically qualify to fly the major airliners of the US transit system. ATP’s must qualify with a range of experience and training to be considered for this certificate.

The pilot in command (PIC) of an aircraft is the person aboard the aircraft who is ultimately responsible for its operation and safety during flight. This would be the “captain” in a typical two- or three –pilot crew-, or “pilot” if there is only one certified and qualified pilot at the controls of an aircraft. The PIC must be legally certified (or otherwise authorized) to operate the aircraft for the specific flight and flight conditions, but need not be actually manipulating the controls at any given moment. The PIC is the person legally in charge of the aircraft and its flight safety and operation, and would normally be the primary person liable for an infraction of any flight rule.

Difference Between a Pilot and a Co-Pilot

All modern aircraft are flown by a two-person crew consisting of a captain and a first officer. The first officer is often referred to in a kind of shorthand slang as the ‘copilot.’ The captain normally wears four uniform stripes, and the first officer three.

That said, on any airplane requiring two pilots, you will find a Captain (a.k.a the “pilot”) and a First Officer (a.k.a. the “co-pilot”).

Here’s some background on the main difference between a pilot and a co-pilot. You see, most aviation terms have nautical origins, and just as there is only one captain on a ship, there is also only captain on a plane (the pilot in command, or PIC). He or she is the final authority for the safe operation of the vessel and is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on board. The First Officer, on the other hand, is like the first mate on a boat (the second in command, or SIC). He or she is there to advise, assist and inform the Captain as needed.

So what’s the big advantage to being a Captain? In the airlines, I’d say the two biggest advantages are 1) running the show, and 2) a significant salary bump. Lets face it, we all know what a big difference it makes to work for a great boss. As a First Officer, you constantly fly with different Captains, so you’re forced to become a chameleon, meshing your personality with each Captain’s personality and unique way of running the cockpit.

Sure, our procedures are highly standardized, but the Captain still sets the tone, and that tone can vary a LOT! Once you are the captain, you get to set the tone, not adjust to it. You get to make the big decisions, not just advise, assist and inform about them. Additionally, who wouldn’t want to earn more money? I’d say that as a rough average,

First Officers only earn about 60% of what a Captain earns.
So what’s the downside to being a Captain? Well, the biggest disadvantage is giving up accumulated seniority as a First Officer. As we’ve talked about before, seniority is everything. From monthly bidding to vacation, seniority determines everything. Would you rather make less money but be a very senior First Officer? Or would you rather be a junior Captain, on call, flying less desirable trips but making quite a bit more money?

So how do you become a Captain? While each airline is different, most airlines offer several position bids each year. This outlines how many captains and first officers are needed in each base and on each different type of plane. Then, the computer (in essence) goes down the seniority list one-by-one, asking each pilot what position he wants. Eventually, there comes a time when all the captain slots have been filled thus leaving only first officer slots left. The time it takes to upgrade varies greatly depending on how many senior pilots retire (thus freeing up captain slots) and how much the company is either growing or shrinking. For me, I’d guess it will take about 7 years with my airline to make Captain for the first time.

Day-to-day, the Captain is focused on big picture things like managing the crew, ensuring the flight plan is correct, the fuel is adequate and being the ultimate decider for any inflight situations that may arise. The First Officer focuses on the smaller picture such as making sure the cockpit switches are set correctly, the flight plan is loaded in the computer correctly, etc. That said, both pilots fly the plane, they generally just alternate who is actually piloting the plane by switching every other flight.

So as you can see, there are lots of differences between pilots and co-pilots, or Captains and First Officers.

Pilot Training Program With Aviator Flight Training Academy 259 Flight Hours

Aviator Flight Training Academy offers professional pilot training programs with a minimum of 200 hours of multi-engine time. The flight school has a state of the art 37,000 square foot facility, featuring a CRJ Level 5 Flight Training Device (Simulator), large classrooms and individual briefing rooms.

Contact Aviator
Commercial Specials

Distributed by Viestly

Solo Cross Country Flight Training and Experience

Solo Cross Country Flight Training and Experience

Private Pilot Flight Experience Summary

Total Time: 40 hours minimum which consists of at least (dual):
20 hours minimum of flight training with an instructor on the Private Pilot areas of operation including
3 hours of cross country flight training in a single engine airplane;
3 hours of night flight training in a single engine airplane, that includes at least:
a) 1 cross country flight of over 100 nm total distance; and
b) 10 T/O’s and 10 landings to a full stop with each involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport.
3 hours of flight training by reference to instruments in a single engine airplane; and
3 hours of flight training in a single engine airplane within the 60 days prior to the practical test.

Solo: 10 hours minimum of solo flying in a single engine airplane on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:
5 hours of solo cross country flying;
1 solo cross country flight of at least 150nm total distance with full stop landings at 3 points and one segment of at least 50nm between T/O and landings; and
3 T/O’s and landings to a full stop at an airport with an operating control tower.

Pilot Training Program With Aviator Flight Training Academy 259 Flight Hours

Aviator Flight Training Academy offers professional pilot training programs with a minimum of 200 hours of multi-engine time. The flight school has a state of the art 37,000 square foot facility, featuring a CRJ Level 5 Flight Training Device (Simulator), large classrooms and individual briefing rooms.

Cross-Country Flying

Phase II in Flight Training
By Steve Krog

When beginning the cross-country flight phase, student pilots often find it one of the most exciting parts of their training. Until reaching the cross-country phase, virtually all flights take place at or near the home airport. For the first time, students are able to fly well beyond the home airport to new and different airports, initially with the flight instructor and then solo. Planning the first cross-country flight, though, can seem overwhelming!

There’s a lot to know before conducting a safe cross-country flight, and your flight instructor will review everything in detail prior to each take off.

1. What type of aircraft will be flown? Does it cruise at an airspeed of 80 mph, like a Piper J3 Cub, or does it cruise at 110 mph? Knowing the airspeed is critical in planning so that the time-in-flight can be determined. Will it take two hours to reach the planned destination, or will it take three hours?

2. How much fuel does it burn per hour at cruise flight? Remember, in flight we don’t have the luxury of gas stations every few miles. Safe, legal planning requires that enough fuel is on board to reach the destination, plus fuel enough to fly an additional 30 minutes, if flying during VFR conditions.
How much fuel does the aircraft hold? Using the J3 Cub as an example, it holds 12 gallons of usable fuel, and the fuel burn rate is 4.5 gallons per hour. At that rate, the Cub can safely remain in flight for about 2.1 hours and still have a 30-minute reserve. At 80 mph, the Cub will be able to travel approximately 168 miles before it’s time to land and refuel (assuming no wind conditions).

3. What are the aircraft performance requirements? Why is this important? After all, as a student you’ve been flying the same aircraft several times a week and have never had to worry about performance. Given the surface wind conditions, outside air temperature, and type of runway surface, it is important to determine both take-off and landing distances for said aircraft. (Perhaps the runway(s) at your point of destination are too short to execute a safe take-off and landing.)

4. What are the destination airport runway types and lengths? Does the airport have more than one runway? Are the runway surfaces asphalt or turf? It’s important that this information is known prior to departure rather than after reaching the destination airport, as the runway of choice may be too short, necessitating the use of a less desirable runway. Vital information, such as runway length, can be found in an FAA publication titled, Airport Facility Directory (AFD).

5. What are the weather conditions for the cross-country flight? Weather conditions are extremely important at the point of departure, all along the route, and at the point of destination. VFR flight requires that minimum ceiling heights and visibility distances be met, or exceeded, in order to legally make the flight. This information can be obtained from the area Flight Service Station (FSS).

6. What are the winds aloft? Flight training prior to the cross-country phase was seldom concerned with winds aloft. So why deal with them now? Winds aloft have a significant effect on the aircraft’s ground speed. Even though the airplane indicates 80 mph during cruise flight, the ground speed may well be different. Let’s assume that winds aloft are indicating that a 20 mph headwind will be encountered during the flight. The ground speed will then become 60 mph.

7. Using the example J3 Cub, it was determined that 2.1 hours of fuel was available, plus the 30 minute reserve, before needing to land. At 2.1 hours and a 60 mph ground speed, the distance covered will only be 126 miles; 42 fewer miles than when flying in a no wind condition. The headwind encountered may dictate that a fuel stop is necessary before safely reaching the destination airport.

Conversely, if the winds aloft indicate that a 20 mph tailwind will be encountered, the groundspeed will be 100 mph. At 2.1 hours and a 100 mph ground speed, approximately 210 miles can be flown in the same time span.

Additionally, the winds aloft may indicate that the flight will encounter a crosswind. This will dictate additional calculations affecting both ground speed and True Heading (TH) – but more on that in a future newsletter.

8. What are the terrain and obstacle elevations along the route of flight? Again, all prior training flights were made at altitudes between 1,000 and 2,500 feet or more above the surrounding terrain, but when flying cross-country new terrain will be encountered. Ideally, the flight should be made to ensure that it is conducted at least 1,000 feet above the highest terrain encountered along the selected route. Obstacles, such as tall towers and windmill farms, must also be noted and considerations made along the selected route of flight.

9. NOTAMs: What are they and why check them? The acronym, NOTAM, stands for Notice to Airmen and can be obtained from the FSS when getting a briefing. (This will be further explained in a future newsletter.) NOTAMs provide pilots with vital information that may affect the route of flight and the planned destination. A good example of a NOTAM would be that one or both of the two runways at the destination point are closed for repair. Having this information can prevent some anxious moments for the pilot upon arrival at the destination.

10. TFR’s: What are they and why are they important? TFRs are relatively new to the world of aviation and became especially more prevalent as a result of 9/11. A TFR is another aviation acronym meaning Temporary Flight Restriction. TFRs are noted areas where flight is restricted for a temporary period of time. It is vital when getting a preflight briefing from FSS, to ask if there are any known TFRs along the selected route of flight. One does not want to launch out on a pleasant cross-country flight only to find an Air Force F-16 escort off your wing! This can be very disheartening, and ruin an otherwise great day. An example of a TFR might be an airport and/or area along the route of flight that is under a TFR because the president is visiting that community. No general aviation flight is allowed in the TFR until it is lifted. It may be in effect for several hours, a day, or several days.

11. Airspace requirements. We’ve talked about airspace in previous articles and we’ll talk about them in greater detail in a future newsletter. Airspace, as you may recall, is categorized by the letters A, B, C, D, E, and G. Each of these designated airspaces have different requirements for both radio communications as well as ceiling and visibility requirements. Before each cross-country flight, it is important to review the route of flight to determine the different airspace categories encountered. Depending on how the aircraft flown is equipped, to be legal the flight may require deviating around, as opposed to through, some of the airspace along the route of flight.

Distributed by Viestly

The Importance of Professional Flight Training Exhibitions

The Importance of Professional Flight Training ExhibitionsA pilot certificate doesn’t expire, but to exercise particular flight privileges (to fly particular planes and to fly in particular conditions), a pilot must have certain experience or endorsements. This means that if you haven’t flown a type of airplane for a while, you can’t just hop in and take it for a ride. You must have flown a certain number of hours within a certain period of time or had a designated instructor evaluate you and sign you off as qualified.

To be a pilot for hire, you need a commercial pilot certificate. You earn your certificate by passing commercial pilot ground school and logging at least 250 flight hours, with allotted time dedicated to certain conditions and maneuvers. After you have logged your hours and passed your written ground school test, you will need to pass a check-ride. A check-ride is something like the driving test we take to get our driver’s licenses. FAA examiner asks you to plan a flight, quizzes you on aviation matters and then accompanies you on a flight. As in a driver’s license test, the examiner requests that you execute certain maneuvers and directs your flying throughout the entire flight. If everything goes well, the examiner issues you a commercial pilot’s certificate.

Additionally, a commercial pilot needs an up-to-date first- or second-class medical certificate, an instrument rating and a multi-engine rating. For you to receive a medical certificate, an Aviation Medical Examiner must verify that you meet the health and fitness requirements to be a pilot. You need to get an instrument rating to fly with low visibility (in adverse weather and in clouds). You receive an instrument rating by passing instrument ground school, logging a specified amount of instrument flight time (flying without visibility) and passing an instrument rating check-ride. To fly planes with multiple engines (most of the planes in commercial use), you need to have some lessons and pass a multi-engine check-ride. At some point, most airline pilots also get an airline transport pilot certificate. This highest pilot certificate allows you to be the pilot in command (the captain) of a large commercial aircraft. It requires that you pass a written test, have a first-class medical certificate, are a high school graduate and have logged 1,500 flight hours including 250 hours as the pilot in command.

To be hired, you need flight experience. Your level of experience is based on the number and complexity of aircraft you have flown, the quantity and complexity of the flying you did (jet or propeller, day or night, local or cross-country, flying with visibility or flying using only instruments, etc.) and which crew positions you’ve held.

Professional Flight Training Exhibitions

Attending professional flight training exhibitions is essential for anyone considering employment as a professional pilot.

The Professional Flight Training Exhibitions take place across Europe and brings together leading flight training organisations, flight training experts, aviation academies, universities and airlines, all under one roof, providing the perfect environment to discover if a career as an airline pilot is for you.

What can you gain by attending a Professional Flight Training Exhibition?
  • A chance to meet the training providers
  • How do you prepare for an interview with the airlines?
  • How to combine pilot training with a university degree course
  • What the airlines looking for in a newly qualified pilots
  • What should you consider before I start my training?
  • Will I be required to go through any kind of selection?
  • What are the costs?
  • When is a good time to train?
  • Air Traffic Control – Find out how to qualify as an Air Traffic Controller
  • A career in the military as a pilot: What are the options?
  • Helicopter pilot careers
EXHIBITIONS currently planned for this year:
  1. LONDON LHR 20 APRIL 2013
  2. LEEDS 13 JULY 2013

For full details on each exhibit, visit the source .

Professional Pilot Program & Commercial Pilot Program at Aviator Flight Training Academy

The programs at Aviator Flight School Academy are designed to provide what the airline industry demands of future commercial pilots. The training you will receive at Aviator is one of the most intensive and challenging programs offered in aviation flight training today.

During your flight training you will fly a total of 259 hours, of which 200 hours will be in a multi-engine aircraft. No flight simulators are used for total flight time. The ground school portion is in a structured classroom environment.
You will receive a minimum of 643 instructional hours for the Professional Pilot Program. 484 instructional hours for the Commercial Pilot Program. The instructional hours includes all ground and flight training. 6 months of housing is included in the program. If you come with a PPL 5 months will be included. Commercial Pilot program includes 4 months of housing, if you come with a PPL 3 months will be included.

Commercial Pilot Program

250 Flight Hours
Ground School Classes Pre & Post Flight Ground
Training in a College Campus Atmosphere
Single Engine Private Pilot
Private Multi-Engine
Multi-Engine Instrument
Multi-Engine Commercial
Single Engine Commercial

200 hours of Multi-Engine Time
Aircraft for check rides
Cross Country flying coast-to-coast
No FTDs (Simulators) used towards flight time
*CRJ Jet Transition Program
4 Months of housing
$ 48,855.00
4 Months of Housing is Included
Subtract -$6,100.00 if you hold a Private Pilot Certificate
$ 42,105.00
3 Months of Housing is Included

Enroll Now
Contact Aviator

Distributed by Viestly