Home > Uncategorized > Veterans Educational and Flight Training Benefits

Veterans Educational and Flight Training Benefits

Veterans Educational and Flight Training Benefits

Post – 9/11 GI Bill

Eligibility: The Post- 9/11 GI Bill is an education benefit program for Servicemembers and Veterans who served on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001. Benefits are payable for training pursued on or after Aug. 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.

To be eligible, the Servicemember or Veteran must serve at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, and remain on active duty or be honorably discharged. Active duty includes active service performed by National Guard members under title 32 U.S.C. for the purposes of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training the National Guard; or under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency.
Veterans may also be eligible if they were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001. Generally, Servicemembers or Veterans may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Eligibility for benefits expires 15 years from the last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days. If released for a service-connected disability after at least 30 days of continuous service, eligibility ends 15 years from when the member is released for the service-connected disability.

Flight Training

Flight training is available for such programs as:

  • Rotary wing qualification
  • B747-400 Qualification
  • Dual engine Qualification
  • Flight engineer
Qualification Requirements

In order to qualify, you must have a private pilot’s license and valid medical certification before beginning training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to us.
Not available under the Dependents’ Educational Assistance program (Chapter 35).

Payment Amounts

While the participation requirements are the same for all GI Bill programs, the payment amount varies depending on the GI Bill program you are utilizing, and the type of Flight School you are attending. (Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits the information to the VA.)

Flight training under Montgomery GI Bill or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
If you are training under the Montgomery GI Bill or REAP we will reimburse you for 60% of the approved charges.

For rates visit Department of Veterans website for more information.

Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in:

  • If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public Institution of Higher Learning you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training, and receive a monthly housing allowance and the books and supplies stipend.
  • If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a private Institution of Higher Learning you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the national maximum (currently $18,077.50) per academic year, whichever is less. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and the books and supplies stipend. The Yellow Ribbon Program may apply for those enrolled in degree programs. Click here to learn more and see if your school participates.
  • If you are enrolled in a vocational flight training program you can be reimbursed the lesser of (1) the full cost of training or (2) the annual maximum amount (click here to see the annual maximum amount) in effect the day you began training in your flight course. You will not receive a housing allowance or the books and supplies stipend. The maximum amount available for reimbursement depends on the academic year you begin training.

For example, if you enroll in a dual-engine certification course that costs $15,000 on November 1, 2012. You can receive a maximum of $10,330 for that course and any other flight training (programs leading to your dual-engine certification, or other certification) that begin before August 1, 2013. Additional flight training courses that begin on or after August 1, 2013 will be subject to a new annual limit. Remember, these amounts could be further limited by your eligibility percentage.

Types of Training Available:
  • Courses at colleges and universities leading to associate, bachelor or graduate degrees, including accredited independent study offered through distance education.
  • Courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools.
  • Apprenticeship or on-the-job training for those not on active duty, including self-employment training begun on or after June 16, 2004, for ownership or operation of a franchise
  • Correspondence courses, under certain conditions.
  • Flight training, if the Veteran holds a private pilot’s license upon beginning the training and meets the medical requirements.
  • State-approved teacher certification programs.
  • Preparatory courses necessary for admission to a college or graduate school.
  • License and certification tests approved for Veterans.
  • Entrepreneurship training courses to create or expand small businesses.
  • Tuition assistance using MGIB as “Top-Up” (active duty servicemembers).
  • Accelerated payments for certain high-cost programs are authorized.
Aviator College Approved for Chapter 33 and 30 Benefits

Aviator College is approved by the Veteran’s Administration under the GI Bills for both academic tuition and flight training fees. Prospective student who performed active duty after September 10, 2001 have additional eligibility for funding. Read about the new VA benefit in a letter from the Director of VA Education Services http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/CH33_veteran_outreach_letter.pdf.

Due to complexity and paperwork required please contact Amy Roth, or call at 772-466-4822.

VA Students enrolling will need to register in the VA website http://www.gibill.va.gov. Fill out form VONAPP. If you have used your VA benefits before or prior you will also have to fill out the form 22-1995 Also you will need to bring a copy DD2-14.

All pilots must now present a valid passport or birth certificate upon arrival. For any additional information please contact our Financial Aid Department.

Aviator College is a Participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program

Distributed by Viestly

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: