Home > Uncategorized > Hourly Requirments for Commercial Pilot Certification

Hourly Requirments for Commercial Pilot Certification

Hourly Requirments for Commercial Pilot CertificationA commercial pilot license allows you to be paid as a professional pilot. An individual with a private pilot’s license cannot be paid for flying a plane to carry passengers or cargo. The pilot must have at least a commercial rating. The Federal Aviation Administration, the agency that governs flight activities in the United States, issues commercial pilot licenses to individuals who meet the agency’s minimum flying time requirements. The starting point to acquiring a commercial pilot license is a private pilot license. Outlined below are requirements and hours of flying time needed to obtain a commercial pilot certification written by Elias Westnedge.

General Requirements

The FAA has different total flight time minimums for commercial pilot licenses based on which type of flight schools students attend. Individuals attending Part 61 schools, which provide unstructured training curricula, must amass a minimum of 250 hours of total flying time before receiving commercial pilot licenses. In contrast, students in Part 141 flight training centers, which provide highly structured, planned aviation instruction, need only complete 190 hours of total flying time before getting a commercial pilot license.

FAA-certified Part 141 approved flight program At Aviator Flight Training Academy

Our FAA-certified Part 141 approved flight programs provide students with the skills and experience demanded by today’s commercial aviation industry. Aviator is accredited by the ACCSC (Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges).

Our Professional Pilot Program is set in a flight training, structured environment to ensure the student receives the knowledge that is required to be a professional pilot.  This program is from 0 hours to over 250 hours, of which 200 hours will be multi-engine time.  The program includes Private Pilot Single Engine through the Multi-Engine Flight Instructor Certificate. Cross Country flying is coast-to-coast, if desired.

At Aviator, all flight training is logged in aircraft. Our Flight Training Devices (FTDs) are used for ground training purposes only. NO FTDs (SIMULATORS) ARE USED FOR FLIGHT TIME TOWARDS YOUR RATINGS!

Cross-Country Flying Time

The FAA defines cross-country flying as any trip beginning at one airport and ending at another. Cross-country flying experience is a key part of commercial pilot training. Students training with Part 61 flight schools need to have at least 50 hours of cross-country flying time to earn a commercial license, including at least one day and one night cross-country flight to destinations at least 100 nautical miles from their home airports. Students enrolled in Part 141 training centers are exempt from the cross-country requirements, but must still complete the two 100-nautical-mile trips.

Pilot-in-Command Time

In addition to training time with certified flight instructors, commercial pilot license candidates also must complete several hours of flight time on their own, which the FAA calls “pilot-in-command,” or PIC, time. To earn a commercial pilot license under Part 61, a person must complete at least 100 hours of PIC time. An individual doing flight training at a Part 141 training school only needs 10 hours of pilot-in-command flight experience to become eligible for a commercial pilot license.

Complex-Aircraft Time

Pilots looking to earn commercial certificates in airplanes must undergo several training flights in “complex” aircraft, which are airplanes that have constant-speed propellers, flaps and retractable landing gear or a turbine engine. Regardless of whether students train at Part 61 or Part 141 schools, they need to complete a minimum of 10 hours of flight instruction in such airplanes.

Distributed by Viestly

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: